OneDrive duplicate folders created with username and computer name appended before the folder name

Copper Contributor

Need your assistance and guidance on resolving this issue.

We recently moved a client from dropbox to OneDrive, a   fantastic move we all agreed. All has been working fine for the past few weeks until last week when a user moved one folder to another location(departmental files) after the files were reverted to its initial structure, the folders started replicating for any user who had access to the files eg. Folder A would replicate as Username-Computername-FolderA.  

The replicated folders for some reasons are empty, We would understand if duplicates happened to conflict files but folders being duplicate has been our mystery.  

A brief description of the setup is that We have an admin Sharing Files from her OneDrive Account under Team Files Folder.  All users who have access to these files currently have "Edit" rights. All users have synched the files to their machine using the latest version of oneDrive Sync client

Your assistance will be highly appreciated

7 Replies
Hi! Just a Quick question! Why dont you use SharePoint for shared files?

Adam

Hi @adam deltinger , The client needed to sync team Files all at once, We had proposed this approach but did not fly. They needed a similar experience to Dropbox. That being said this issue still happens even if you sync files from a SharePoint Document library that the team member access and have also synched

@dkdenniskorir We're starting to see this issue as well in our environment. Any resolution that you have found?

@dkdenniskorir Same issue here. I will try the credential manager next time the issue shows up but this isn't a good long term solution; we have many clients in many different sites and can't be changing the credential manager constantly.

Same issue here. I changed the name of a large folder online, and OneDrive started duplicating both of the two computers I have synced. Do we need to find alternate solutions?

@dkdenniskorir We recently had the same with one of our clients, also moved from Dropbox to SharePoint, the issue was resolved when we removed Onedrive Cache passwords in credential manager and signed in to OneDrive again, turned files on-demand off, and on the office tab in OneDrive settings, unticked "Use office applications to sync Office files that I open"

We have noticed that the file collaboration often slows down Office programs too. 

Hope this helps.