OneDrive Creating Unwanted Duplicate Files

Copper Contributor

I am trying out OneDrive to backup my working files. I keep all my working files on a separate "E" Drive on my computer. I have been trying to upload about 25 years worth of working and archived working files to the cloud. OneDrive quit uploading because it has created duplicate working files of those that I want to backup to the cloud from my "E" Drive on to my "C" Drive. Now my "C" drive is completely full and I can't store anymore to the cloud because my "C" Drive is full and I still have 100 GB to go. I do not want or need working files on my "C" drive. How do I delete these from my "C" Drive and get OneDrive to stop doing this. The "save space" setting doesn't appear to be working.

3 Replies

@jsh-63I assume your OneDrive is located in

C:\Users\<yourusername>\OneDrive

So when you copy files to your OneDrive they will get synced back to that location and thus on your C: drive.

In order to prevent that:

1. Don't use the "save space" setting but first create a folder on your OneDrive ("Backup" or similar).
  2. Remove the folder "Backup" from the list of folders that get synced.
  3. Upload your files to the folder "Backup" with your browser (or a backup application).

Your work files will end up on the OneDrive servers but will not get synced back to your computer.

Alternative:

1. Unlink OneDrive from your computer.
  2. Add your account (a restart in between might help).
  3. Choose the location for OneDrive to be on your drive E:
  4. Move your work files from E:\somewhere into E:\<yourOneDrive>

Now every work file will be synced with OneDrive. Please make sure that this is what you want! Synchronisation is not a backup!

@Alexander Forst-Rakoczy 

Hi there

I have an issue with the company OneDrive creating not properly syncing renamed folders. If someone renames a folder, a brand new folder (with a new name) is created with the same content as the renamed folder.

Example:

(old folder) "John Wane"

(folder after rename) "John Wane (Mr)"

OneDrive then syncs the renamed folder as a new folder instead of renaming the old folder online.

I need some advice about this as we have been trying to find a way around having to search for and delete the old folder.

Please advise a solution.

@jsh-63 Microsoft have not and will not fix duplicate files being made on one drive because they want you if you're not paying attention as well to get more data on it so you'll end up with 15 terabytes of multiple copies of everything but they don't care otherwise they would have fixed this years ago that's the reason why it's not fixed money not because it will cost them money to fix it cuz they want money