SOLVED

OneDrive crashing on stop-sync of SharePoint sites.

Brass Contributor
Hello fine IT people. Since last week we have multiple users (and more each day) reporting that their OneDrive apps crash when they stop sync on SharePoint sites. Tried OneDrive repair, uninstall/reinstall, insider build, SFC, no love. All affected machines are running Windows 10 21H2.
Given the number people this is suddenly affecting, I suspect that it's not just an us problem. Anyone else seeing this and have you found a solution?
Event log:
23 Replies

@RandomDave have you found a solution. I have the same problem, if I click "stop sync" for a SharePoint library whole OneDrive app closes down and the sync is still there.... Have also tried reset and Online Repair.

I am running OneDrive Build: 22.202.0925.0002

Have the same problem. It also crashes when trying to sync a new folder. OneDrive just restarts and when started there is a created folder but it doesn't sync. OD version: 22.207.1002.002. WIN: 21H2. Also did update my and users windows to 22H2, still nothing. Anyone has a fix?

I did perform a rollback from Office configuration admin panel to previous Office version.
Will update if the issue is fixed.

I have seen the same issue in 2 environments so far. 

No root cause or solution jet.

Current workaround:

- quit OneDrive

- delete local copy of synced site

- start OneDrive

- OneDrive will show a message like "we couldn't find ..." select "Stop Sync"

@RandomDave I have not verified this yet, but I was told that the October quality update KB5018410 can cause this MS OneDrive issue.

Yes it seems to be kb5018410, uninstall fixed the issue on 21H2 and 22H2.

After reinstall of kb5018410 the issue was back.

Tested in 2 environments.

I have confirmed after removing kb5018410 I was able to stop the sync on the folder without OneDrive Crashing.

@RandomDave 

I'm facing the same Issue and we also have also installed recently KB5018410.

After I press stop synch for any Sharepoint site, OneDrive stops working. After restart of OneDrive the Synchronization is not stopped. Even worse: I want to change my Notebook, but I cannot move the Synchronization of the Sharepoint to the new Notebook, as long I cannot stop the synchronization of to the old Notebook. Any help how to overcome this issue is welcome.

best response confirmed by RandomDave (Brass Contributor)
Solution

We've confirmed that KB5018410 was causing OneDrive to crash on unsync and are rolling it back in our environment.

Rolling back KB5018410 fixed the issue for us, confirmed on multiple machines.
Rolling back KB5018410 has resolved the issue for us.
Confirmed. Rolling back KB5018410 has resolved the issue for us.
We've confirmed that rolling back KB5018410 has resolved the issue for us.
Confirmed, uninstalling KB5018410 fixes the problem.

In case it's helpful, this was the error logged in Event Viewer when OneDrive crashed:

Faulting application name: OneDrive.exe, version: 22.202.925.2, time stamp: 0xa2c15e54
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.2130, time stamp: 0xb0fac6c9
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x000000000010fdf2
Faulting process id: 0x48f0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d8e7c4051e7f61
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft OneDrive\OneDrive.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 4f18f189-f568-4f3b-bdd0-ad62c74208ef
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Can confirm, going to remove it from being deployed to our devices and open a ticket with Microsoft.
FYI, it looks like Microsoft has an incident for this and is working on a fix. So no need to do their troubleshooting for them :). OD448875

https://admin.microsoft.com/#/servicehealth/:/alerts/OD448875
Good to know, thanks Jordan.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by RandomDave (Brass Contributor)
Solution

We've confirmed that KB5018410 was causing OneDrive to crash on unsync and are rolling it back in our environment.

View solution in original post