One Drive Sync Issue

Copper Contributor

I have read that it is recommended not to sync if all document libraries have more than 30.000 files since synchronizing single document library will also impact even though it does not have 30,000 files. Is this limit based on a site collection or site. Will the performance of my sync improves if I create a sub site and move 10,000 files to sub site or sync is considering entire site collection not site? Also what are the recommended ways to tackle if my site has 30,000 files?

3 Replies
I guess you read an old article or missed a 0? Of course it's not recommended to sync 300.000 files :)

Although SharePoint can store 30 million documents per library, for optimum performance we recommend syncing no more than 300,000 files across all document libraries. Performance issues can occur if you have 300,000 items or more across all libraries that you are syncing, even if you are not syncing all items within those libraries.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/office/invalid-file-names-and-file-types-in-onedrive-and-sharepo...
Hello Rudy,

Thank you for your reply. Please help getting clarity on site collection vs site. Is the total document library count is based on entire site collection or site? For instance, if I have 10 document libraries in parent site and 10 document libraries in sub site. If I try to sync one of the document library in my sub site, will One Drive take into account libraries only in sub site or altogether including parent site?

@PraveenZnmd 

You could right click on you onedrive and click properties..

300.000 is the ondrive client limit...  as you can see we have 18k files with 7 teams sites (shortcuts) in my personal onedrive

Rudy_Ooms_0-1617284651487.png