One Drive Sharing Files

Copper Contributor

We are new to sharing files on One Drive.  We want to be able to:

• Share files and the person(s) we share it with will need to enter their email address and a code and/or password to open
  • We also want to able to remove a specific person(s) name from the file sharing list so they no longer have access to the file we sent 

So far, we have tested sharing files between people in our organization and outside organization and result are spotty at best.  For instance, if we try sharing a file to a gmail account, the file will either not go through or if it does, will open immediately without the entry of a code or password to open.  We have had other "wacky" things happen too.  Can someone please explain the process of sharing from start to finish, in detail, of how we can meet our requirements above consistently?  Thank you!

17 Replies
You must use specific people option. This will always require some form of authentication to access a file and you can select a file and manage access on the file and remove individuals specified.

Now the tricky part is when using this method the sign in process will be different depending on the account used.

People that you have never used or have a b2b account in your tenant will receive an email with a code.

Gmail folks may only have to have their gmail account logged on to access as 365 can auth against them now.

Folks with b2b may not be promoted since they might be logged into their own tenant which will count as auth.

Internal folks will already most likely be signed in via SSO so they won’t get prompted.

There is a password option where you can set passwords on files but it only works on anyone links and you won’t be able to control individual access so that only works for one of your two requirements.

Hope this helps.

@Chris Webb 

Chris, 

Thank you for your response, it was very helpful.  Do you know of any Office 365 file sharing programs that would support both of our criteria:

• No matter who/what email address we would send it to (except for those already authorized in our group) - the file would require some kind of password/code to open (even if they already happen to be signed into Office 365/One Drive); AND
  • We could individually remove someone from access to a particular file - but not wipe out everyone who has access to that file.

Thanks again!

No you can’t guarantee a password entry every single time. It’s not possible and to be able to keep permission on per user basis. They are technically all authenticated thou in some way but it doesn’t guarantee a password prompt.

Hi @l_glase,

Sharing via "specific people" links should satisfy both of your requirements below. Users will be asked to either sign-in with their account or prove they own the e-mail address that was shared to via a one time passcode. 

These users will show up under specific people links in the "Manage Access" pane in OneDrive & SharePoint and you can remove them all at once (by removing the link) or individually. Hope that helps!

Stephen Rice

OneDrive Program Manager II

@Stephen Rice I'm trying to accomplish this too. My external team member is being told that they must have an Office365 account to access the "specific person" access I granted them to one folder on our OneDrive.

How do we make this work?

Do I have to purchase a license for someone who does 5 hours of work a week? 

No. Their email is tied to an office 365 account if they get that message. They need to get their login and use it. Otherwise you need to share it with them to another email that is not hosted by office 365.

@Chris Webb, thanks for writing.

So they just retired. I sent to their Gmail. Does that mean their previous employer has not disconnected them from Office365? They don't have an active personal Office365 account, but have MS Office on their laptop. But you're saying they only get the message if they have an Office365 account?

Sam

I mean is it telling you this when you try to share or when they click the link they get an office 365 login prompt?

@Chris Webb I sent an invitation to a OneDrive folder from the OneDrive app to their gmail address. They received the invitation and attempted to access OneDrive and an error message that said they have to have Office365 to access these files. They can get in one time, but not as a bookmarked site. They cannot open the excel files to work or type into the PDF forms to save to another location. Tonight they cannot get in at all.

If they have accessed before then it’s not s matter or accounts. Either they aren’t authenticating the same or somehow the sharing link got changed. You can always manage access if the folder. Remove their access and try to share again. Make sure you have edit rights to save back but they can’t edit pdf in place. Will have to download and upload.

@Chris Webb why do I have to reissue rights multiple times a day? That seems to defeat the purpose of granting access. 

You shouldn’t. I’ve never had too. Something has to be messing with the folder rights or your end user is constantly using invalid credentials somehow.
I’d just invite a completely new email he has so they can use passcode login or something.

@Chris Webb we consistently have this issue with OneDrive even within our own Office365 licensed team. So I'm supposed to ask a contractor to make a new email to use? They don't have credentials, it's a login by email. I have been told that the password was a feature that has its own set of problems. 

Have you tried sharing an anyone link with a password instead?

Adding on,

@Sam_Evans it sounds like something is wonky here as the flow you're describing shouldn't be happening. Can you share screenshots of the sharing & the recipient experience? That will help me debug where the problem is occurring and if there's a bug of some kind here. Thanks!

Stephen Rice

OneDrive Senior Program Manager

@Stephen Rice 

Thanks for the follow up.

The password access didn't work after logging in/out more than twice. This is familiar territory for even those *IN* our Office365 licensed group. So we avoid that. I gave it a whirl.

We were able to remove access and re-invite and associate the gmail address with a MSFT account.

Workflow adaptations: Cannot save to the OneDrive even when we tried to map it while logged in. Have to save to local then transfer/upload files from local workstation.