One drive folder sync to different drives

Copper Contributor
I would like to sync particular OneDrive folders to different drives how can I’d I it?
10 Replies
OneDrive on Windows must have a single root drive, and cannot be split up across drives. You can use old command-line tools like SUBST to map drive letters to local or network paths, but these will be in addition to existing drive letters.

See also: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sync-folders-with-onedrive-on-multiple-drives/...

Thanks @Mike Williams  what would be best practice to handle it, I have one folder on my one drive that is over 100GB and I want to have it on an external drive outside my computer as i must have it always local. how can I do this one folder on the external drive not on the main root?

It will depend on how you use the contents of that folder. For instance if some of the files are actively being edited through say Office 365 then they would need to be treated differently to say multimedia files that you simply wanted available in OneDrive.

You could move the entire OneDrive folder onto the external drive.
You could backup the 100GB folder to the external drive, and use a sync tool to keep it up to date.
I’ll never edit these files through one drive.
I use use the drive as a backup and adding files form the computer to the folder and using it with a software that is accessing these files and has to be local offline
"I use use the drive as a backup and adding files form the computer to the folder and using it with a software that is accessing these files and has to be local offline"

I don't understand this sentence
I mean I’ll not edit the field from the one drive
What field? I'm sorry this makes even less sense.

I'd like to achieve something similar. I have 200GB of files in my OneDrive (Business), which I sync using files on demand to my local machine (local SSD is not so big). No issues here.

My goal is to backup all files to an external HD from time to time, so I thought I could set up a second sync for the same account but pointing to the external drive, while flagging the files on demand to "always download to device" (the external HD in that case). Would that be possible at all?

Yes, as long as the second sync location is attached to a different device running the OneDrive client.

@Mike WilliamsThanks. I was thinking there could be a workaround for the same device. Just trying to get some automation. Anyway, I guess I'll end up downloading all files locally, then copying them to drive.