On-Demand Sync feature, any news?

Brass Contributor

Hi,

Im getting often questions from customers around the "placeholder" functionality in ODfB. I think it was mentioned in Ignite 2016 sessions that "it will come as On Demand Sync" but I cant find any newer information on that subject. 

Anyone have some insights to this? 

PS: I mean the functionality where cloud-based files only are shown as placeholders in local onedrive folder and double click triggers sync.

thanks in advance 

JK

24 Replies

Windows Insiders running Windows 10 build 16215 (Fast Ring) can now download and install a new OneDrive update, which enables the new Files On-Demand.

More info at https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/06/13/onedrive-files-demand-now-available-windows-i...

Hi MS Team,

Windows 7 is significantly used in business. Why not enable this feature on Windows 7 clients? You take your clients hostage in order to force migration to Windows 10 build 16215.

Regards,

Michaël

There have been calls for wider support for this feature, check out this post and the corresponding idea on the OneDrive UserVoice that you can vote and promote.  I think it is relatively unlikely they will increase support but if Microsoft get enough feedback, they will have to give it some consideration.

Thanks for your message Cian. I've already vote on this UserVoice.

Best Regards.

OneDrive Files On-Demand needs to be implemented at system level, i.e. it is not enough to update the NGSC.

But Microsoft ended mainstream support for Windows 7 on January 13, 2015 (extended support will end on January 14, 2020) and, during extended support, no new features are introduced.

Hence, Files On-Demand should never come to Windows 7, unfortunately...