Office Groups not visible in OneDrive for Business Web Client

Bronze Contributor

Hi, 

I currently have one users that doesn't see some (not all) Office 365 Groups in their OneDrive for Business Web Client. The same hidden groups are all visible and accessible in all other services (owa, planner, sharepoint).

It's not a browser issue, we've tried switching. I've also tried removing and readding to the affected groups. Still nothing. The users is even an owner on some of the affected groups.

Anyone have some clue?

20 Replies
Strange, I can confirm I'm seeing Groups in OneDrive in the usual way
Some of my groups weren't showing. If you go into SharePoint, search for the group, then follow group in the top-right, they will show up in OneDrive.

I am seeing the same thing.  If I click on Return to classic onedrive I see all the groups.

I had to remove, and re add the affected user.

We also have the same issue.  Switching to classic view shows all of the groups.

Did you remove from group and re-add?
Yes, remove the user with the problem from the group, wait a little, and then readd them to the group.

We experience a similar issue with one of our users :(

Creating a dumy group and adding her, didn't trigger a change.

Did it took a long time after re-adding the user before it was ok again?

A quick note on this.

The user that this was tested on is not being added to any groups for the past few months...it had just gone unnoticed until now.  Have not dropped and re-added to group yet.  Will continue to troubleshoot and hopefully remember to post a solution.

Chad below had the right instructions, but I had to explore to find out how to make the group appear:

1. Go to the group's page you'd like to have appear in OneDrive

2. Click Files at the top of the group

3. At the far right of the page, click Browse Library

4. In the page that opens, there's a star in the top right of the page that will likely say Not Following; click it to follow the group

It should now appear on OneDrive. The same steps can be taken to remove groups that are appearing in OneDrive that you do not want to see; instead of clicking Not Following you will click Follow (to unfollow the group). This does not remove you grom the group, it just removes the group from your sidebar in OneDrive.

That solved it for me, thank you!
The group is now showing up correctly under the affected user.

I was also able to get to the group page by going to OneDrive and then clicking 'Return to Classic OneDrive' in the bottom left.

This is becoming frustrating for our end-users. None of them seem to understand that they need to perform the procedure to "Follow" an Office 365 group (which they're already a member of) before they can see it appear as a destination for copying files from their personal OneDrive libraries.

Is there any way to administratively configure an Office 365 group so that all members are automatically "Following" it by default? I know there isn't anything in the UI, but is there an attribute which can be modified via PowerShell?

If not, could the developers add this capability? This would greatly streamline the user experience and reduce the number of support calls related to this.

Thank you!

In my case, this ties into a larger problem for my users around the Groups interface in OneDrive behaving differently than the Groups interface in Exchange Online pages. It's jarring that they visually appear quite similar, but when it comes to actual usage things begin to get quite confusing.

I had a call with MS support a few month back, when I first started to experience this. According to Microsoft this is not a bug, but a feature and it seems that there is no other way than asking the users to click on "follow" :-(.

This is still an issue for some of my users. User is part of group, is following, has been removed and re-added but the groups doesn't show in their onedrive without switching to classic onedrive. Whats up???

Also bump on the requests to have them follow automatically. Not only is it sill that this can't be set as a default, the amount of clicks that it takes to get there is crazy.

Same response here. I was looking to find a way to resolve for some users. They are following and removed and checked again.
This is a really poor user experience and leads to many support calls. OneDrive is supposed to provide a simple experience but when the group isn't there at all and requires the user to either go to Classic OneDrive or into SharePoint to fix it then the "new experience" is a failure.

Yes, that is a work-around. Let's play that back though: to see group files go into mail (!) select a group (as it is listed there, but not in OneDrive), then go to a "More" menu option and follow the group. The surprising thing is that the explanation is that it is "by design". It is a poor design, not intuitive, very confusing for users and not adequaltely explained anywhere. Why does it make any sense to find files by going via email? Why are all Groups that someone is a member of listed in email but not in OneDrive until followed? This just isn't consistent or easy to understand. More work needed by Microsoft I think.