Migrate Folder Redirection via OneDrive KFM creates duplicates

Copper Contributor

Hi All,

Struggling to see where/why this is going wrong given the simplicity of the MS guide. In brief we have a number of RDS environments using FSLogix and GPO's for Folder Redirection. We're looking to migrate user data to OneDrive and are following the below -

1. Use Migration Manager to copy contents in the network file share location to a user's OneDrive, making sure that all contents go into the existing Documents, Pictures, or Desktop folders.
  2. Disable the Window Folder Redirection Group Policy and make sure to leave the folder and contents on the network file share.
  3. Enable KFM Group Policy. Known folders move to OneDrive and will merge with the existing Desktop, Documents, and Pictures folders, which contain all the file share content that you moved in the first step.

The migration element works fine (i.e. turning off the Folder Redirects and enabling OneDrive KFM shifts over perfectly).

What doesn't work well - so AT ALL - is OneDrive attempting to merge the data uploaded via the SharePoint migration tool. It creates duplicates of the data so as soon as a user logs in, the OneDrive client attempts to re-upload the data in the Folder Redirection path meaning every file ends up as 'filename - Copy'.

Is this an MS issue as I can't see any other reason for it outside of them changing how OneDrive was supposed to handle file merge/assessments?

Thanks in advance.

6 Replies
Hi @TechOtaku, did you finally resolve the issue, or is it still lingering?
Please share the solution with us here.
It is still an issue. I just have the problem after migrating a company. The documentation is not directing in any way to that problem. Currently there is no solution in my opinion. We try to write a script that cleans up the mess afterwards.
Same problem here. I tried GPO, Intune, with and without disabling Offline Files, etc., "Leave the folder in the new location..." and "Redirect the folder.."
I use Silent KFM with communication to user after it is done, and I also use Pormtp for KFM (if silent fails).
Nothing helps - duplicates are created.
What gives?
We also facing the the issue when we do the migration via ShareGate (Fileshare to OneDrive) and all the policy got pushed via GPO.
Even opening a P1 ticket with MS is also not helping us. their simple option Choose to merge or copy the files is also not working , it keeps on creating theke duplicate files with -copy suffix

My conclusion - MS Doc regarding this process is screwed and misleading.
In the first line it say such a shift is unsuported, then it says how to do it - which btw is wrong and causes these issues as described here.

That is what works for me:
First - copy your user data in the backend using Migration Manager - the one with web console or SPMT (for those who have not tried they both do the same thing, SPMT is slightly eaiser to appraoch programmatically with PS1, but MM has nicer web console)
Second - redirect home folders to OneDrive folders on local PC
Then - KFM them via GPO or Intune (optionally, eg to get rid of GPO)
Otherwise data will duplicate

There is nice YT vids - 2 parts of how this can be done:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJRMr6O3PQU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgYkWcRZhEY