KFM in combination with SharePoint Migration Tool creates duplicates

Copper Contributor

Hello all,

I am working on the rollout of OneDrive for our users using Known Folder move. At the moment we have these folders redirected to a file share and is the data offline available. As most users have a lot of data I am using SPMT to perform an initial load as described at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive/redirect-known-folders#transition-from-the-windows-folder-.... When I then disable the redirection and enable the move using GPO everything seems to work fine, except that it’s not merging the folders, but creating duplicate files. I have tested with disabling offline folder sync, but that did not make a difference. When I try to move manually the OneDrive client says it found files with the same name and will add “-Copy” to the new files to preserve both files. I understand that, but according to the documentation it should not create copies but merge the folders during the move.

I there anyone who has gone through this process that can help me out?

Regards,

Gert

3 Replies
Wow this is big, I'd love an answer on this as we were just thinking about using SPMT to seed users folders to OneDrive.

Hello @SystemEngineer. Even after opening a call with Microsoft I was not able to get it fixed. It's a bug they told me that will be fixed some time (hopefully). KFM works fine as long as you migrate to a clean OneDrive. As soon as you prefill OneDrive using SPMT and then use KFM to redirect and copy the last changes from the users pc it creates copies. I finally used SPMT in combination with folder redirection to e.g. %OneDrive%\Documents as a workaround. That works, but requires me to run a delta migration once the GPO is applied. So a bit more work and planning.