SOLVED

Is "Shared with me" supposed to show Files that is shared with me from external users?

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I was wondering, if I'm supposed to see Files/Folders that are shared with me by external users in the OneDrive For Business "Shared with me" view. For example: I'm using a test-tenant with a test-user to share a O4B file ("Specific people"-mode) to my actual O4B/O365 account (different O365 tenant). I receive an email and have to confirm with a code (from another email) that I really own that email address. I can open/edit the file without any problems. When I open the "shared with me" view at my actual O4B, I just see files and folders that were shared with me from my internal colleagues. Is this by design? Is there anything that the users or admins on either of these tenant can do different, so that the Shared ressource is listed in the receiving tenant? Thank you

Kind regards,

Andreas

10 Replies
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution
Hi @andreasd1

AFAIK, Shared with me is documents shared with you by other internal users within your organisation

Reference article as confirmed by Microsoft here -

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/files-shared-with-me-do-not-show-up-in-the-sh...

Hope that answers your question

Best, Chris
Chris is correct. That view is just an indexed view of files in others onedrives that have your name tied to their permissions or links. Doesn’t work externally. Would be nice thou if it could somehow. Good thing to check uservoice for and create if not there. I’d vote on it.

Actually, since about the beginning of the year, you should be able to see externally shared files as well. Folders included. You can identify them via the "globe" icon next to the item name:

SPOsharedwithme.png

That’s great to know @Vasil Michev, I didn’t think this functionality was there yet. Will try it out on Monday. Thanks for the heads up!

@Vasil Michev Wow! That's awesome. But it seems like it doesn't work for me yet. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot, when there's no external entries in the "shared with me" list?

I sent a Sharing link from my test tenant to my work tenant 4 days ago and it's still not listed there. Maybe the feature is not rolled out globally yet?

Might be limited to First Release, not sure. Or simply a staged rollout that will hit your tenant in the coming weeks.

@andreasd1 I see your question. I'm running into the same question. Although your question is almost 3 years ago:) What's the current status? The last comment says that it also should work for external shared files. Is that true? I'm using M365 Standard subscription.

This had been working for me but stopped in the middle of April. I've been holding the line with support since that time. @andreasd1 could you do me a favor, and test whether items shared from external users still appear in "Shared with me"? And, whether or not clicking them does anything (in my case it does not. :loudly_crying_face:)?
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution
Hi @andreasd1

AFAIK, Shared with me is documents shared with you by other internal users within your organisation

Reference article as confirmed by Microsoft here -

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/files-shared-with-me-do-not-show-up-in-the-sh...

Hope that answers your question

Best, Chris

View solution in original post