SOLVED

How to Share/Copy files between 2 organizations?

MVP

I'm looking for a way to share/copy files in my OneDrive business (Office 365 Business premium subscription) with/to another organization that I work with and have the same subscription.

so for example my organization is organization1.onmicrosoft.com and the other one I want to copy/share my files to/with is organization2.onmicrosoft.com

how can I do this?

21 Replies

You can share easily by simply pressing the share button on top. If you want to copy/move files between tenants, you need to look into using third-party products as Microsoft provides no native tools.

So there is nothing "easy" about that I see.
any 3rd party tools that are proved to be stable and safe enough?

If it's basic copying of files, pretty much all the tools out there can do it. We try not to give specific tool recommendations on these forums as it quickly turns into a circus, just look them up online.

@Vasil Michev 

@Vasil Michev wrote:

If it's basic copying of files, pretty much all the tools out there can do it. We try not to give specific tool recommendations on these forums as it quickly turns into a circus, just look them up online.

I don't think helping people will be anything like circus but it's ok if you think like that, I don't.
I'm going to wait for better answers.

The circus happens when each individual vendor starts spamming threads with recommendations for their own product. I also work for a company that has a t2t migration product, yet you don't see me putting our name in every (un)related post. If you need a recommendation, you can simply do a search online for reviews from independent authors or people that have already gone through the process.

I didn't choose a best answer. why did you do that?
From the perspective of the original question that post answered the question! Feel free to continue the conversation though or create another post with another question formed from this thread! No harm done, sorry for you inconvenience though

Adam

@adam deltinger 

@adam deltinger wrote:
From the perspective of the original question that post answered the question! Feel free to continue the conversation though or create another post with another question formed from this thread! No harm done, sorry for you inconvenience though

Adam

Hi Adam,

I know there is no harm done, I wasn't talking about harm either.

but it's rude to do that on behalf of someone else.

it's like thinking the OP doesn't know how to tell which one is the best response or which one solves his/her problem so I go ahead and choose it for him/her.

you said: "From the perspective of the original question that post answered the question!"

the OP (Original poster) which is me in this case, should be the one choosing the best answer/response to my question, not someone else.

it's literally the first time I've seen such thing in all the forums I've been on.

I've opened a discussion post in the community center about this:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Community-Discussion/MVPs-shouldn-t-choose-the-best-response-...

@adam deltinger 

he also went ahead and Unsubscribed me from my own post.

that's why I didn't get the email about him selecting his own comment as best response.

wow I can't believe this.

Hi! What are you implying? Who unsubscribed you? Don’t think that even possible..also I did the Best Respose to someone else, not me!

The reason for MVP’s having the ability to select BR’s is because they are the ones doing most of the answering and usually have most knowledge among the community users regarding selected topics. I totally agree with you though that OP’s should have the first opportunity to do so but lots of people don’t do this! That’s where we come in! With that said, I was a bit too fast there and I do apologize for this! I don’t really know what you mean by your above post though

@adam deltinger 

@adam deltinger wrote:
Hi! What are you implying? Who unsubscribed you? Don’t think that even possible..also I did the Best Respose to someone else, not me!

The reason for MVP’s having the ability to select BR’s is because they are the ones doing most of the answering and usually have most knowledge among the community users regarding selected topics. I totally agree with you though that OP’s should have the first opportunity to do so but lots of people don’t do this! That’s where we come in! With that said, I was a bit too fast there and I do apologize for this! I don’t really know what you mean by your above post though

I think my comments are clear. which part of it is unclear? let me know so I can explain more about it

well, it is possible and it has been done. I was unsubscribed from my own post, like I said above.

I don't know if @Vasil Michev did that or it was the side effect of the forum system that when an MVP forces a best response on another user, then that user is automatically unsubscribed from his/her own post. in which case this is wrong and needs to change.

"they are the ones doing most of the answering and usually have most knowledge among the community users regarding selected topics."

I strongly disagree because it's not true. you would be surprised to know how many experts, engineers, knowledgeable people are in Microsoft tech community and they haven't applied to the MVP program.

I've had my fair share of encounters with Microsoft employees. they are very nice, helpful and understanding people and they never forced or chose any comment as best response on my posts, even though they did actually post the best response, but they let the OP do it because that's more appropriate and done in other (even bigger) forums.

I think continuing this conversation here is inappropriate since it's off-topic. I've reported this conversation, hopefully a moderator will response. feel free to post comments on that topic I opened on the community center.

I’ll post this one here and we can certainly continue on the other thread or by private message!
If you got unsubscribed, that’s unfortunate and it was not intentionally if this is done by selecting BR!
Of course, I know there are lots and lots of helpful members here with lots of knowledge! Being an Mvp is not only about knowledge so I agree here! Although not my rules about MVP’s are the only ones being able to set BR’s, so we do this with the intention to help other users find their answers more quickly! It’s not to overrun any users knowledge or answers! And I don’t gain anything on doing so either.. but as I stated earlier, I was too fast this time around and should have let the thread live on before considering a BR.
We do not have the ability to unsubscribe you from anything, that's on your end and nothing we have any control over what so ever.

Also make sure you are looking at the right drop down arrow when you looked at if you were subscribed or not, the one in the top right corner is the one that gets auto subscribed too. I've hovered over the one next to the authors thread before and notices it will not be subscribed thinking the same in the past.

Not to say that there couldn't be a bug or something that did it either, but I can tell you at least we do not have that ability at all.

@Chris Webb 

@Chris Webb wrote:
We do not have the ability to unsubscribe you from anything, that's on your end and nothing we have any control over what so ever.

Also make sure you are looking at the right drop down arrow when you looked at if you were subscribed or not, the one in the top right corner is the one that gets auto subscribed too. I've hovered over the one next to the authors thread before and notices it will not be subscribed thinking the same in the past.

Not to say that there couldn't be a bug or something that did it either, but I can tell you at least we do not have that ability at all.

Hi,

Well you see I'm not new here in the community and I'm pretty sure I didn't unsubscribe myself (neither accidentally nor intentionally) from this topic. I never unsubscribe from any topics that I post something in, specially the ones I create myself.

if MVPs don't do things like choose best response on behalf of others, these "bugs" or problems wouldn't happen in the first place.

@adam deltinger 

@adam deltinger wrote:
I’ll post this one here and we can certainly continue on the other thread or by private message!
If you got unsubscribed, that’s unfortunate and it was not intentionally if this is done by selecting BR!
Of course, I know there are lots and lots of helpful members here with lots of knowledge! Being an Mvp is not only about knowledge so I agree here! Although not my rules about MVP’s are the only ones being able to set BR’s, so we do this with the intention to help other users find their answers more quickly! It’s not to overrun any users knowledge or answers! And I don’t gain anything on doing so either.. but as I stated earlier, I was too fast this time around and should have let the thread live on before considering a BR.

I know it's the ability given to MVPs, that's why I opened the other topic in community center to discuss it with moderators.

because the only people that really care about the authenticity and prestige of the Microsoft Tech community are the Microsoft employees, because it's their job, they are being paid to do it right.

MVPs are normal people that are not being paid to do so, so there is nothing to gain or lose.

they can decide to do something for their own good and don't think about the outcome of it and the negative impact of it on the community.

MVPs can put their personal feelings first while Microsoft employees understand that it's their job to always keep everything fair and think about the outcome of their actions.

I said personal feelings, as in for example someone likes to stack up numbers in their profiles, like by collecting "best responses" on their profile, by competing with other fellow MVPs in the community, to have more post count, more best responses than the others, these are normal feelings that are very common.

but Microsoft employees and community moderators are not after these things so they never act like that even if they want to because they are being paid to do their job right, and things like that will have a big negative impact on the prestige of the community and it will create chaos.

Well, this is a community driven forum (tech community) and there’s no one from Microsoft afaik getting payed to search this forums for best answers! Microsoft Roams these forums not that often
It works very well as of today and I don’t see any problems with this setup and I’ve never experienced that personal gain stuff either, and if so, then they do it fare..

Now I’m done with this thread! Hope you get some good feedback on the other one

Adam

@adam deltinger 

@adam deltinger wrote:
Well, this is a community driven forum (tech community) and there’s no one from Microsoft afaik getting payed to search this forums for best answers! Microsoft Roams these forums not that often
It works very well as of today and I don’t see any problems with this setup and I’ve never experienced that personal gain stuff either, and if so, then they do it fare..

Now I’m done with this thread! Hope you get some good feedback on the other one

Adam

Exactly, because the OP (original poster) must do it him/herself.

yes this is a community drive forum, but so is every other forum. a forum without the community, without people participating in it, is not forum at all.

I see lots of problems with this treatment (like it happened in this topic and Definitely happened before and Definitely will happen in the future as well).

Good luck.

best response confirmed by HotCakeX (MVP)
Solution

@HotCakeX Hello! As the original poster, you do have the ability to unmark a "best solution." So as in this case, if you aren't happy with the best solution, feel free to unmark. We do rely on our MVPs to help out in the community as trusted community resources and while we've noted your suggestion, we will continue to rely on our MVPs to help moving forward.

@HotCakeX wrote:

@adam deltinger 

@adam deltinger wrote:

I think my comments are clear. which part of it is unclear? let me know so I can explain more about it

well, it is possible and it has been done. I was unsubscribed from my own post, like I said above.

I don't know if @Vasil Michev did that or it was the side effect of the forum system that when an MVP forces a best response on another user, then that user is automatically unsubscribed from his/her own post. in which case this is wrong and needs to change.

"they are the ones doing most of the answering and usually have most knowledge among the community users regarding selected topics."

I strongly disagree because it's not true. you would be surprised to know how many experts, engineers, knowledgeable people are in Microsoft tech community and they haven't applied to the MVP program.

I've had my fair share of encounters with Microsoft employees. they are very nice, helpful and understanding people and they never forced or chose any comment as best response on my posts, even though they did actually post the best response, but they let the OP do it because that's more appropriate and done in other (even bigger) forums.

I think continuing this conversation here is inappropriate since it's off-topic. I've reported this conversation, hopefully a moderator will response. feel free to post comments on that topic I opened on the community center.

For the record, Vasil did nothing, the "answer" was marked by Adam (as clearly visible in the actual post), and as Chris mentioned, nobody here has the functionality to "unsubscribe you. Not sure why the drama is, nobody is forcing you to agree with any of our opinions. If anything, you can consider Adam's action as a "+1" on my initial answer.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by HotCakeX (MVP)
Solution

@HotCakeX Hello! As the original poster, you do have the ability to unmark a "best solution." So as in this case, if you aren't happy with the best solution, feel free to unmark. We do rely on our MVPs to help out in the community as trusted community resources and while we've noted your suggestion, we will continue to rely on our MVPs to help moving forward.

View solution in original post