SOLVED

How do I unlink my PC for an O365 tenant for which I can no longer log in?

Iron Contributor

How do I remove a sync for an old company that I no longer work for and no longer have a valid login?  My OneDrive.exe client is still connected and wants me to log in every time I start my machine.  I would like to remove the connection so it no longer knows anything about that company but I don't see any way to do that without being able to log in to the O365 tenant to unlink the PC.  The blue cloud still shows in my Explorer menu.  My password has long since expired and I no longer have a valid login to that tenant.

5 Replies

Right-click on the blue cloud -> Settings -> Account -> Unlink this PC.

Thanks for the response but that doesn't work because I don't have a blue cloud unless I can successfully log in to the tenant.  I don't have a valid password so I can't do that.  There doesn't seem to be a way to unlink without actually logging in.

best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

Hi Kevin,

From your description, it seems that you are using the OneDrive for Business Next Generation Sync Client. Since you can no longer authenticate your Office 365 account to use the client normally, I suggest you uninstall the client, re-install it and use it with another active account.

If you are using Windows 10, I suggest you follow the steps below to uninstall it.
1.Log into your Windows system as Administrator > open command prompt > run taskkill /f /im OneDrive.exe
2.For 64-bit Windows, run %SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\OneDriveSetup.exe /uninstall to uninstall OneDrive (For 32-bit Windows, replace SysWOW64 to system32)
3.Access this path: C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive and empty all documents and folders.

After uninstalling, please re-install it from https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Transition-from-the-previous-OneDrive-for-Business-sync-cli... .

Is this still the best solution? I'm having this problem with the 17.3.6799.0327 client. I've got a few GBs of content synced with consumer OneDrive so I don't want to flush and fill and reconfigure everything if I can avoid it.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

Hi Kevin,

From your description, it seems that you are using the OneDrive for Business Next Generation Sync Client. Since you can no longer authenticate your Office 365 account to use the client normally, I suggest you uninstall the client, re-install it and use it with another active account.

If you are using Windows 10, I suggest you follow the steps below to uninstall it.
1.Log into your Windows system as Administrator > open command prompt > run taskkill /f /im OneDrive.exe
2.For 64-bit Windows, run %SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\OneDriveSetup.exe /uninstall to uninstall OneDrive (For 32-bit Windows, replace SysWOW64 to system32)
3.Access this path: C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive and empty all documents and folders.

After uninstalling, please re-install it from https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Transition-from-the-previous-OneDrive-for-Business-sync-cli... .

View solution in original post