GPO to sync SharePoint library, Online files Only?

Brass Contributor

I need to sync a document library to all 2000 PC/Mac devices in a company. The library will hold <30 documents so not a large library.  I don't want to setup 2000 devices manually. Now Microsoft have recently published a way to configure The OneDrive Client to automatically sync a SharePoint Library via GPO.

I look at the documentation for the GPO and it states:

"This setting allows you to specify SharePoint team site libraries to sync automatically the next time users signs in to the OneDrive sync client (OneDrive.exe). It may take up to 8 hours after a users signs in before the library begins to sync. To use the setting, you must enable OneDrive Files On-Demand, and the setting applies only for users on computers running Windows 10 Fall Creators Update or later. Do not enable this setting for the same library to more than 1,000 devices. This feature is not enabled for on-premises SharePoint sites.

If you enable this setting, the OneDrive sync client will automatically sync the contents of the libraries you specified as online-only files the next time the user signs in. The user won't be able to stop syncing the libraries.

If you disable this setting, team site libraries that you've specified won't be automatically synced for new users. Existing users can choose to stop syncing the libraries, but the libraries won't stop syncing automatically.

To configure the setting, in the Options box, click Show, and then enter the library ID in the Valuefield and a friendly name to identify the library in the Value Name field.

To find the library ID, sign in as a global or SharePoint admin in Office 365, browse to the library, and click the Sync button. In the "Starting sync" dialog box, click the Copy library ID link.

Enabling this setting sets the following registry key:

[HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\OneDrive\TenantAutoMount]"LibraryName"="LibraryID"

Now, Is there a way to sync the library so that the files are available offline too?

What is the reason behind the 1000 devices limit?

1 Reply
No responses? Did you ever figure this out?