GA OneDrive for Business Next Gen Client version number

Iron Contributor

Hello,

Earlier this week Microsft announced the GA of OD4B Next Gen client update to support sync of SharePoint libraries (https://blogs.office.com/2017/01/24/onedrive-brings-new-file-collaboration-and-management-features-t...).

Within release notes (https://support.office.com/en-us/article/New-OneDrive-sync-client-release-notes-845dcf18-f921-435e-b...) it is said that GA version is 17.3.6743.1212 but it was also this built number for last preview client in December and I founded some informations about a new built number for GA : 17.3.6760.0105 without ability to download it.

Reading some articles it seems that I am not the only one confusing with GA built number. Can someone within Microsoft (perphaps @Stephen Rose) could tell the community what exact built number is for this GA of OD4B NextGen clent supporting Sharepoint sync and activity center and provide download link?

Also within deployment information it is always said that we need to add registry key to enable Sharepoint sync. In the past I have read that this registry addition will not be anymore necessary after GA.It it or not the case? Perhaps documentation have not been updated yet.

Thanks for help and clarifications.

Vincent

12 Replies

@Stephen Rose, can you confirm that the manually adding the registry key is still required to enable SharePoint libraries to be synched as the posted documentation mentions?  I thought that a feature of GA was removing this requirement and enabling automatic takeover from Groove.  If not, that changes the deployment considerations greatly.

Thanks @Stephen Rose for reply.

So nothing change since last preview version in December even version built number et deployement using registry key?

I have read about a GA version with built number 17.3.6760.0105 but found no where to download it.

Thanks to confirm because as said @Bruce Piper it will change deployement consideration

Regards

@Stephen Rose wrote:

Sorry to interrupt but your linked article still talks about the Preview Client and also that you need the Registry Keys to make it work with SharePoint document libraries.

This is not necessary anymore. That article is obsolete and neither contains a version number nor even a date! It only talks about "the new client" but doesn't specify it.

The release notes of OneDrive are here:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/New-OneDrive-sync-client-release-notes-845dcf18-f921-435e-b...

A manual about the transition from the old client (Groove) to the new one is here and it also includes the minimum version numbers for Office.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Transition-from-the-previous-OneDrive-for-Business-sync-cli...

Basically you bring your computer up to date (Windows, Office), check the version numbers, and send the NGSC the following command:

%localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\OneDrive.exe /takeover

Now the new client moves the synchronized libraries from Groove and takes over. If all went well it also removes Groove from Autostart.

I have done this with a few machines in our office already and it worked.

Basically you bring your computer up to date (Windows, Office), check the version numbers, and send the NGSC the following command:

%localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\OneDrive.exe /takeover

Now the new client moves the synchronized libraries from Groove and takes over. If all went well it also removes Groove from Autostart.

I think what everyone is wondering, will this ever be completely automated and silent to take over without the need for running this command?

@Jonas Back wrote:

I think what everyone is wondering, will this ever be completely automated and silent to take over without the need for running this command?

IF you don't have any synchronized libraries with Groove then it works automatically:

• Make sure that Windows, Office, and OneDrive are up to date.
  • Set your SharePoint to sync with the new client.
  • Sign into Office 365.
  • Sync with any library. Your browser should open the new client.

If you have libraries synced with Groove you have to use the /takeover command to make the transition and let them be moved to the new client.

Alternativly: Un-sync every Groove connected library, stop the Groove process, and just sync everything again with the new client. (The /takeover command would move your documents locally and thus would not generate much network traffic.)

In order to set your SharePoint to use only the new client follow the instructions at the bottom of this article:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Enable-users-to-sync-SharePoint-files-with-the-new-OneDrive...

If you have libraries synced with Groove you have to use the /takeover command to make the transition and let them be moved to the new client.

Yes, all this is understood. But I have 3000 clients, spread over 3 continents, some of them are domain joined, some of them are BYOD where I have not control over the clients. Emailing 3000 users telling them to run /takeover is simply not a good idea.

That's why I'm wondering, is there any plan for Microsoft to automatically run the takeover without any user doing executing any command? If this i the plan (maybe in the next release in a few weeks?), I rather just sit back, wait for that update instead of e-mailing 3000 users.

Thank you for this. None of the options in the article forced a takeover like this did.

I Agree,, the procedure is pretty clear and straightforward.

Only problem we see is that the minimal Office version isnt met at most of our customers due to the deffered update channel. We have to switch them (client by client) to the current channel to get them the minimal version needed for takeover to continue.

You can switch all the clients to Current Channel in one single shot, if you want, using GPO.

i tried the script on the article but that didnt work for me.

any suggestions how?

Not sure to understand what you mean... Which script?

My advice was to use GPO for mass switch of the channel.

Please give a look to https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/oppsupport/2016/11/12/how-to-switch-channels-for-office-365-prop...