Files on Demand - The Cloud sync engine failed to validate the download - Error 0x8007017F

Brass Contributor

Hi,

I have a customer whom we've recently turned on 'Files On Demand' (version 17.3.7076.1026 - most recent version). Intermittently when they open file's from Sharepoint (Via One Drive Files on Demand), they receive the below error (screenshot below)

Error 0x8007017F: The Cloud sync engine failed to validate the downloaded data.

image.png

Any ideas how we can resolve or why we are getting the above error?

Thanks

Michael

34 Replies

I had this problem as well, fixed it by adding my computer user to the share tab in properties on our whole company sharepoint. I was only added as a profile. After I added my company computer user (click start, then your profile icon in the left column, you see change account settings, sing out and your account name), everything works fine without any retry dialogs. Hope this helps.

@Abram Cardoza 

Similar issues here albeit with error code 0x80070185. Heard about any fixes yet?

Typical Microsoft - there'll be a load of bugs but bugger all the customers tying to use it

Has anyone found a solution for this 0x80070185 ??

We are having this issue 0x80070185 since February 2019. Any solutions yet? 

We are experiencing the same error at our company. Anyone with a solution to this problem?

Just saw the same issue at a client. Try Again doesn't seem to do anything but if they click Skip the file opens right away.

I'm seeing the same as @Philine von Guretzky at a client site. Lots of 0x80070185 errors ("The cloud operation was unsuccessful"). It seems to be affecting certain users more than others within the same library?

The document libraries at this client's site are very large - 199k files in the main one. I'm wondering if that's just too many files for the sync agent to handle? The official documentation states that OneDrive for Business can reliably sync up to 300,000 files, but it's the only thing I can think of?

I just wanted to throw my hat in the ring here too in case anyone finds a solution. 

Cheers,

Matt

@Matt_Ignite take a look here for a couple of suggested solutions: 

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/OneDrive-for-Business/Error-code-0x80070185-When-opening-Shar...

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_drive-mso_win10-mso_online/error-code-0x...

I still think the easiest solution for individual users is to set all files to "Keep offline" then push them all back to the cloud "Free up space", but Justin Kropp's solution may be a better way to clear up the issue for multiple users.

Hi Kevin, the keep on device - free up space trick seems to fix the issue. Thanks.
Currently trialing this with a user to see if this is actually a long term fix. Will report back if not.

Update on this - the fix as described by @Kevin McKeown above seems to have done the trick.

Thanks so much for sharing

@Kevin McKeown - thanks very much for this! Apologies for the late reply, for some reason I never received a notification that you'd tagged me here. 

That thread is gold. The scenario @JustinKropp outlined is the exact situation I've been struggling with now for months - a large Sharepoint library that was migrated from a network share with the Sharepoint Migration Tool. All Office docs are affected, but nothing else. My ego has taken a bit of a hit given that he solved the problem with "a few days of troubleshooting" and I've been running this case with MSFT now for ~4 months, but hey - if it works I'll be a happy man. 

I'm currently running the powershell script across the entire library, since there's a lot of files and a number of PCs. Plus, the PC's don't have sufficient space on their local SSD's to sync down the entire library :D . 

I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks again for the links - much appreciated. 

Cheers,

Matt

@Kevin McKeown - many thanks again for your recommendation here.

Early last week I ran Justin's powershell scripts against all the document libraries for the customer, and reset the OneDrive cache on the worst-affected user's PCs. In the week since, the users have reported absolutely no re-occurrences of this error. Originally, we were hitting the error on EVERY Excel document that we opened from the synced library. This is a BIG change. So I'm calling that a success. 

I'm planning on calling into the client site later this week to confirm with the team in person, but for now I'm pretty confident. 

Thanks very much for pointing me in the right direction. I really appreciate the assist!

Cheers,

Matt

Same problem here. Found a jerryrig though: I dowloaded the file from the onedrive via my browser. Then deleted it from the folder, reuploaded it to onedrive by dragging and dropping it in the folder from the OneDrive desktop interface, seems to work for now.

I had this exact same error message. Fortunately in my case I was able to swiftly fix it by closing the OneDrive app and reopening.

@Michael Milad-Said 

@Michael Milad-Said 

Hi,

I recently tried to backup files from OneDrive to a Computer and has the same error appear. I turned off Files On Demand by right-clicking the OneDrive menu at the bottom right of your screen, going to setting, click on the settings tab and then turn off "Save space and download files as you use them". This will download all the files to your PC and you shouldn't have issues copying the files to different locations. After that, turn Files on Demand back on. I know it isn't a good solution to give to end users, but at least it works.

Hope this helps, sorry if it didn't.