Exclude Files from Upload Group Policy not working

Copper Contributor

I am trying to use this new Group Policy "Exclude Files from Upload" unfortunately it is not working for all machines.

I have installed the ADMX templates to our domain and created and linked a GPO to my OU that has my computer in it:

Group policy settingGroup policy setting

I then ran gpupdate, restarted, etc and confirmed the registry settings are being applied to my PC per the documentation: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive/use-group-policy#exclude-specific-kinds-of-files-from-bein...

RegistrySetting.JPG

I have confirmed my One Drive version meets the minimum of 20.201 for this feature to work:

ODVersion.JPG
I create a file "test1.lnk" which should exclude itself from upload for being a lnk file and yet it still syncs up:
lnktest.jpg

Why doesn't this work as expected?  

On another machine where I have never had OneDrive synced, I signed into my account and enabled OneDrive and that machine worked as expected!  Both machines are in the same OU with the same policy applied to them, the same registry settings, same user account.  Do I need to unlink my OneDrive account and relink it for the policy to apply to my user account? 

3 Replies

@Dan LeVasseur 

Hi, were you please able to crack this issue? I am seeing exactly the same thing during my testing.

Thanks a lot in advance.

MG

@mgoc1979 

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one.  Due to lack of replies I was starting to think I was just nuts.

The week after I posted this, it magically started working on my PC.  No change in version, settings, etc.  I started reading more into the feature and it is still listed as "Rolling Out" according to the Roadmap #66188 https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?rtc=2&filters=&searchterms=66188

I do still have other users that this is not working for.

I figured this would just be version dependent but it sounds like this is also in the back-end OneDrive somehow.  Why?  Who knows.

@Dan LeVasseur 

Thanks a lot for a speedy reply.

I see - I guess I would have to wait a bit to be sure it changes to "released" state.

Interestingly enough, some of my colleagues from other countries report the feature to be working; the only difference might be slightly different GPO settings and the domain their user accounts/machines reside in.

Again, thanks a lot.

MG