SOLVED

Copy directly from Explorer to OneDrive online, no local copy.

Copper Contributor

Hello,
I have 500GB of data on an external disc  ( X:\ ), Now I want to create another backup and copy this data from Explorer / Onedrive client to OneDrive online 

How do I do this without first getting a local copy under c: \ ... user \ ...? I dont want that!! 

I have marked the folder as online only but it will not work until all data is copied and I can only update the folder to online only.

My local hard drive currently has 30GB of free.

5 Replies
best response confirmed by Carl-Fredrik Persson (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Probably overkill, it's an IT tool but I think it would do the trick, it's the SharePoint Migration Tool, certainly worth looking at for that volume of data anyway. It supports OneDrive for Business as a destination, just point it to the local folder you want to migrate. Where this may fall down though is it recommends 150 GB+ free disk space, unfortunately! You could try doing it in batches and see if that is plausible though someone else may have a better idea. 

Introducing the SharePoint Migration Tool

Agree with Cian, SharePoint Migration Tool is good option here

Thanks. Work like a charm.

Would you mind explaining the steps?  Haven't used sharepoint migration tool before.

1. Go to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepointmigration/introducing-the-sharepoint-migration-tool

2. Install

3. Login with Office365 account

4. In migration Tool.  Add a task, and choose which files / folders you want to copy to OneDrive

2018-08-28_1356.png

5. Paste the URL path to your Onedrive and select directory where the files will land.

2018-08-28_1359.png

Start migrate-job! 

Note! The process will save data locally during migration.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Carl-Fredrik Persson (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Probably overkill, it's an IT tool but I think it would do the trick, it's the SharePoint Migration Tool, certainly worth looking at for that volume of data anyway. It supports OneDrive for Business as a destination, just point it to the local folder you want to migrate. Where this may fall down though is it recommends 150 GB+ free disk space, unfortunately! You could try doing it in batches and see if that is plausible though someone else may have a better idea. 

Introducing the SharePoint Migration Tool

View solution in original post