Constant messages saying I'm over the 5 GB limit

Copper Contributor

I have hotmail and outlook.  There is a free 5 GB one drive limit.  I started receiving messages that I am over the 5 gb free limit.  I deleted several GB.  The message goes away for a minute and then says I am again over thghe 5 gb limit.  Why is this happening.  i am deleting a lot of files.  How do I get rid of the free 5 gb one drive.  It isn't worth it and I want to be able to keep sending and receiving e mail.  This is a big problem.

3 Replies

@LouuBedford1 

It sounds like there might be some synchronization issues between your OneDrive account and your local files. Sometimes files that have been deleted locally can still remain in your OneDrive account, taking up space.

Here are a few things you can try to resolve the issue:

1. Check your OneDrive settings: Make sure that your OneDrive account is not set to automatically back up files from your computer. You can find this setting by right-clicking on the OneDrive icon in your system tray and selecting "Settings".
  2. Clear your OneDrive cache: Sometimes, OneDrive can cache files that have been deleted, causing your account to appear over the limit. To clear your OneDrive cache, right-click on the OneDrive icon in your system tray, select "Settings", then go to the "Account" tab and click "Unlink OneDrive". Once unlinked, you can delete the OneDrive folder from your computer. Then, relink your OneDrive account and let it resync.
  3. Empty your OneDrive recycle bin: If you have deleted files from your OneDrive account, they may still be taking up space in the recycle bin. To empty the recycle bin, go to OneDrive.com, select "Recycle bin" from the left-hand pane, then click "Empty recycle bin".

I hope this helps!

no it doesn't help. same thing here and i got so confused i deleted the picture folder in my onedrive on the laptop and to my surprise all my pictures are gone. in every other location aswell. im not happy and desperately trying to find help.

@noahlot77 

If you have gone through the above steps and the issue persists, it's advisable to reach out to Microsoft support directly, Contact Microsoft Support. They can investigate the problem further and provide more specific guidance based on your account and situation.

I'm also at the end of my knowledge regarding this topic.