Clicking the Copy link button instantly breaks the inheritance of the file or folder

Steel Contributor

Hi all,

This is something that needs sorting out.  The scenario is, I want to copy a "People with existing access link", using the Copy link button in the ribbon of a modern document library.

As soon as I click "Copy link" the inheritance of the file or folder is broken.  This is expected when using the Anyone, people in your organisation or specific people links, but not "People with existing access."

One of the reasons this is occurring is that we cannot specify "People with existing access." as the default link.  Which is something we want, but is a discussion for a different post.

Before breaking the inheritance of the file or folder, the button code needs to wait until the user has selected the appropriate option before breaking the inheritance.

11 Replies

@Stephen Rice  seems more issues with the whole inheritance breaking issue and copy link. 

Thanks for tagging me @Chris Webb !

@Andrew Silcock, when you click "copy link", what type of link is being copied? If your default link is a link that works for anyone or a link that only works for people in your organization, then copy link will always break inheritance immediately.

If your default links is a link that only works for specific people, copy link will default to a people with existing access link and will not break inheritance. I just tried this again myself and saw this behavior so if you are seeing something different, please let me know!

And about people with existing access as a default, I don't have anything to share... yet. ;)

Stephen Rice

OneDrive Program Manager II

So desperately need that for copy link. Hopefully there is a separate option for sharing and copy.

The ideal setup IMO
Sharing - specific people default
Copy - Existing access

@Chris Webb, if you set the default link to specific people, this should be the behavior you get. Are you seeing something different? 

Stephen Rice

Oh I haven't tried it recently. Let me try :).
Well what do you know, it works exactly like that now. Thanks Stephen :).
Has it always been that way? Or did it change since March? hehe.

@Andrew Silcock if you can set your link default to Specific People as @Stephen Rice  said, it works the way you would expect. Share = Specific people default, Copy Link = Existing access. It works great just tested myself. 

@Chris Webb 

This is how it worked when it shipped. I think it might have had a bug earlier this year which was then fixed.

Always nice when I can build someone's ideal feature instantly though ;)

Stephen Rice

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

The default is currently set to People in your organization, so when we click Copy it defaults to that link.

"If your default link is a link that works for anyone or a link that only works for people in your organization, then copy link will always break inheritance immediately."

This is exactly the problem for people who do not want to break the inheritance and simply want to copy a link to people with existing access.

We weren't aware either that the copy link changes to people with existing access if we change our default to specific people. Thanks for that and we will actually go ahead and change that.

We will definitely be changing our default to people with existing access when it becomes available... assuming that is the news coming :)

In conclusion, changing the default will sort out the issue for us, but this: "If your default link is a link that works for anyone or a link that only works for people in your organization, then copy link will always break inheritance immediately." - Is still going to be an issue for other people who want their default to be anyone or a link that only works for people in your organization.

Hi @Andrew Silcock,

Thanks for sharing the additional context! Glad we can at least make things easier for you now! And maybe we can make them even easier in the future ;)

In the meantime though, this is good feedback and I'll pass it along to the rest of the team. Thanks!

Stephen Rice