Change to ODB/SPO sharing dialog specific people option

Microsoft

Hi all,

Based on feedback, we're making a small update to how the new sharing dialog works with the "Specific People" option.

You may recall that we previously had two people pickers in the dialog: One to select who the sharing link work for and another to choose who to actually send the link to. We have eliminated the first people picker and have folded the functionality together. Here's a quick example:snip_20170828111412.pngsnip_20170828111435.png

When "Specific People" is selected as the default link type, users will no longer need to open the Links settings page to choose who they want to share with. This change is rolling out now and should be available in all organizations by the end of the day.

Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!

Stephen Rice

OneDrive Program Manager II

23 Replies

Tagging @Juan Carlos González Martín and @Andrew Silcock as I know they were both interested in this change :) 

Thanks for this update Stephen!!! I will blog about it as soon as I seen on my tenants :-).
Thanks very much for looking into this and letting us know Stephen.

I will have a test this morning and let you know. Initial testing looks good though.

One thing we're wondering, is it going to be possible in the future to change the default option so that when clicking on Share and Copy, it defaults to "People with existing access" - Only people who already have access can use this link? We're currently able to change it to default to all other options but this one. Presumably, because this option isn't available in OneDrive, it makes it harder to implement?

Hi @Andrew Silcock,

With this update, you should actually see "People with existing access" in OneDrive as well :) We don't currently have any plans to add it as an option for "default" but it's something I'm watching for feedback on. 

Thanks!

Stephen Rice

You can change the default at the tenant from OneDrive Admin > Sharing > Default Sharing Links and select 'Direct'. I am not aware of a way change the default at the user level.

Will you be separating ODB and SPO sharing? If so when? 

Hi @Meryem Burduroglu,

We definitely have heard feedback that many customers have different scenarios between ODB and SPO when it comes to sharing and need a little more freedom/separation in order to effectively manage their organization. We don't have anything specific to share about that though, other than that we're definitely aware of the request. Thanks,

Stephen Rice

Hi Stephen,

A little off topic, but are you aware of an issue with external users in OneDrive and SharePoint sharing, whereby I cannot share with the primary SMTP of an external user but I can share with their alias.

The user receives something along the lines of:

"You are trying to accept your invitation with alias@external.com.

The item was shared with primarysmtp@external.com. This organisation's policy requires you to accept the invitation using the account that it was shared with"

Despite this being the same account, the sharing will not work unless I share specifically with their primary SMTP, which often means having to ask the external user for their log on email address as123@external.com rather than andy.silcock@external.com.

We have “External users must accept sharing invitations using the same account that the invitations were sent to” checked and we're not about to uncheck it.

I'm wondering if the new external sharing options, using validation codes are going to resolve this?

Thanks,

Andy.

@Andrew Silcock,

Yes, the new validation codes will solve this. As long as the user can receive the validation code via the e-mail that was shared with, they can verify their identity and access the content.

Stephen Rice

We'd REALLY like to have this default to "People with existing access" in SP. It is messing with our preferred approach in SharePoint of keeping specific user assignment in security to a minimum. We cannot convince our users with permissions that every time they want to send a file link, they need to change the link type, and we end up with people who already have access via group membership now having specific named access.

Hi @Brent Hawthorne,

We have this work on our backlog but don't have a timeline to offer. The best thing you can do to help us prioritize the work is to make or vote up a request on user voice. 

In the short term, one other option you can explore is turning off the "members can share" feature on your team sites. Once disabled, only the owners can add new people which may help reduce oversharing cases. Thanks!

Stephen Rice

Hi Stephen

Do you have any news about this feature? I was looking today to set "People with existing access" as default, but still not possible.

Thank you and kind regards
Ivo

Hi @Ivo Rohrer,

Nothing to share here at the moment, sorry. Feel free to submit this idea on user voice as well as this helps us prioritize work as well. Thanks!

Stephen Rice

Hi Stephen, any ideas on a release for the new external sharing method? Thanks!

Hi @Andrew Silcock,

The new external sharing flow is available to all customers now. You should be able to see it anytime you share a file or folder to a new external user. Thanks,

Stephen Rice

We're just as bad as end users with not using search. I found a number of suggestions on User Voice for the option to default share and copy link be for people with existing access. Can we all just go to one and vote it up? Maybe this one - https://sharepoint.uservoice.com/forums/329214-sites-and-collaboration/suggestions/31747333-default-...

Hi Stephen,

I used to use this Sharing option in my personal OneDrive (via Office365 Home).  I used to share my PRIVATE family photos with only my wife... and now for some reason the options to Specify a User have all gone!  (I went to share a new folder today....)

This was a BIG part of the usefulness of OneDrive.  Do you have an explanation of why this option has been removed and when it will return?  For me, this is a make or break.  We use OneDrive in Office365 in business and the option to specify specific users still exists.  But to be blunt, it makes my Home subscription useless for me as I don't have a secure way to share documents between family members now.

Thanks, Dave

Hi @David Pilcher,

In OneDrive personal, you should still have the ability to share to specific users. If you click share and select "E-mail" you will be sending a link to only your recipients. Are you not seeing the "e-mail" option or am I misunderstanding what you're seeing? Thanks!

Stephen Rice

You can select "send as an email", but that basically emails a link that is forwarded as a PUBLIC link (that can be re-forwarded etc)

It is not the same as only sharing with a Specific User.