SOLVED

Can we give SMB permissions for OneDrive share?

Copper Contributor

I am expecting default file sever duty by replacing OneDrive. Is there any method to share OneDrive folder with SMB permissions and mount to domain users. I tried Azure file share + NTFS permissions but there are few difficulties for the working from home users. If we can mount a OneDrive fileshare over the public internet with SMB permissions, it would save lots of time. 

Is there any way to do this? or is there any other solution which can do this?

Thanks in Advanced.

6 Replies
best response confirmed by ChethiyaA_97 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

OneDrive is NOT a direct replacement for a file server, you should not expect it to function as such. Use the sync client and forget about mapped drives.

It seems the answer. Thanks.
Is there any other solution that can resolve my case? Mapping a drive over public internet without any VPN connection with SMB permissions. ?
"Mapping a drive" - that's SMB, "over public internet without any VPN connection" - that's over QUIC, "with SMB permissions" - Azure share. We offer a solution, please see https://visualitynq.com/vs-mobile-file-manager/

@LiliaW There are software workarounds for this if you use either Apple iOS or Apple MacOS. Firstly, for iOS, you can use a fantastic file manager called FileBrowser, which allows you to mount OneDrive cloud drives and use them as you would a file server. It also supports almost every other cloud drive in the same way.

As for MacOS, you can either use ExpandDrive which has been around for more than a decade. It supports mounting almost every cloud drive in existence. Alternatively, you can use the MacOS version of FileBrowser. The benefit of ExpandDrive is that it mounts the drives within the standard Apple MacOS file manager windows; alongside all your other folders, drives, USB drives etc. You can copy and paste files as per normal. Or open files directly from OneDrive and work on them, with all changed saved directly to OneDrive as your working, 

Note: both these software solutions are much better than Microsoft sync because they don’t require you to keep a local copy of your OneDrive cloud drive; thus freeing up your local disk space considerably. That was the main reason I looked into this, as I didn’t want to have keep terabytes of cloud drive files on my local hard drives. Instead everything is stored in the cloud and only the files you’re working on or download are stored locally.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ChethiyaA_97 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

OneDrive is NOT a direct replacement for a file server, you should not expect it to function as such. Use the sync client and forget about mapped drives.

View solution in original post