SOLVED

Are Synchronized files encrypted on the local computer by default ?

Copper Contributor

Hello

I'm pretty sure this question has been asked several times but I haven't been able to find a clear answer.

All the documentations I've seen says that One Drive for Businees Data is encrypted "at rest" .

I guess "at rest" means that the files are encrypted on the cloud servers.

But does it also mean that the synchronized files are encrypted on a local computer ?

If a computer is stolen, can anybody access the synchronized files by mounting the hard drive in an other computer or will the data still be unreadable .

If the answer is "no the local synchronized data is not encrypted"  , would it be a problem to encrypt the onedrive local sync folder with bitlocker or any other folder encryption software ? will onedrive malfunction if it cannot "read" the sync folder at startup if this folder is not yet uncrypted ?

Thanks in advance

3 Replies
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

No they aren't. But if you are using a drive encryption software (BitLocker), the entire content of the harddisk is encrypted, including any newly created/synced file. And no, there will be no problems in doing so.

@hardballer As well as BitLocker there is Windows Information Protection (WIP), this could apply Data encryption at rest for business data on the (Windows) device. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/information-protection/windows-information-protect...

Thank you both for your answers.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

No they aren't. But if you are using a drive encryption software (BitLocker), the entire content of the harddisk is encrypted, including any newly created/synced file. And no, there will be no problems in doing so.

View solution in original post