Announcing New File Viewers Available for OneDrive For Business

Microsoft

Our vision here on the OneDrive for Business and SharePoint team has always been to give you the best experience for all your files. While you’ve always been able to store basically any file with us, we have been investing heavily in our web viewing technology and now view over 250 different file formats (see below for the full list) in OneDrive and SharePoint!

In the past, if you had native Adobe formats like Photoshop and Illustrator, 3D files, DICOM images, or even some of our own formats like Visio, you would have to resort to a separate viewer (or worse, pay for a third-party solution to manage these files when your organization may already be getting OneDrive with Office 365). Today, we are excited to announce support for these formats, and more.

Last year at Microsoft Ignite, we added support for major Adobe file formats, including Photoshop (PSD) and Illustrator (AI), in addition to our long-standing support for the Acrobat format (PDF). Also last year, we improved our video player to make your experience significantly faster by streaming high-quality videos without requiring them to fully download before playback.

image1.jpg

Today, we build on that to add support for 3D formats (3MF, FBX, OBJ, PLY, STL), and this lines up very nicely with what we have previewed in the Windows 10 Creators Update, which is coming soon (more information available here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/upcoming-features). Of course, we are completely cross-platform, so Mac and Linux users get seamless 3D support in OneDrive and SharePoint, all without requiring any browser plug-ins.

globe.png

If you’re in the healthcare field, we’ve also added support for DICOM images, with much more coming later in the year – letting you view x-rays, MRIs, CT scans, and more through OneDrive and SharePoint, which is fully HIPAA compliant by the way (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/TrustCenter/Compliance/HIPAA).

image3.jpg

And saving perhaps the best for last, we’ve integrated Visio (VSD, VSDX) viewing as well, making it much easier to share your ideas with the world using OneDrive and Visio together.

image4.png

When you consider all of this, plus the plethora of other files we support viewing, including Office files (where we support editing and coauthoring across web, desktop, and mobile) to even viewing and editing source code, we hope it’s clear that OneDrive is the place for all your files! We aren’t done of course, and we will keep bringing even more file formats to our viewers in the future and will keep you updated as we do. Finally, we’re eager to hear from you on what formats we should tackle next – either in the comments below, or on our UserVoice site, here - https://onedrive.uservoice.com.

Thanks

Nicolas Cabeen - OneDrive/SharePoint Program Manager

PS – here’s the full list of file types that we now support viewing online in OneDrive for Business and SharePoint.

Documents:

csv, doc, docm, docx, dotx, eml, msg, odp, ods, odt, pdf, pot, potm, potx, pps, ppsx, ppt, pptm, pptx, rtf, vsd, vsdx, xls, xlsb, xlsm, xlsx

ai, arw, bmp, cr2, eps, erf, gif, ico, icon, jpeg, jpg, mrw, nef, orf, pict, png, psd, tif, tiff

Video:

3gp, m4v, mov, mp4, wmv

3D:

3mf, fbx, obj, ply, stl

Medical:

dcm, dcm30, dic, dicm, dicom

Text and code:

abap, ada, adp, ahk, as, as3, asc, ascx, asm, asp, awk, bash, bash_login, bash_logout, bash_profile, bashrc, bat, bib, bsh, build, builder, c, c++, capfile, cc, cfc, cfm, cfml, cl, clj, cls, cmake, cmd, coffee, cpp, cpt, cpy, cs, cshtml, cson, csproj, css, ctp, cxx, d, ddl, di, dif, diff, disco, dml, dtd, dtml, el, emakefile, erb, erl, f, f90, f95, fs, fsi, fsscript, fsx, gemfile, gemspec, gitconfig, go, groovy, gvy, h, h++, haml, handlebars, hbs, hcp, hh, hpp, hrl, hs, htc, hxx, idl, iim, inc, inf, ini, inl, ipp, irbrc, jade, jav, java, js, jsp, jsx, l, less, lhs, lisp, log, lst, ltx, lua, m, make, markdn, markdown, md, mdown, mkdn, ml, mli, mll, mly, mm, mud, nfo, opml, osascript, out, p, pas, patch, php, php2, php3, php4, php5, phtml, pl, plist, pm, pod, pp, profile, properties, ps1, pt, py, pyw, r, rake, rb, rbx, rc, re, readme, reg, rest, resw, resx, rhtml, rjs, rprofile, rpy, rss, rst, rxml, s, sass, scala, scm, sconscript, sconstruct, script, scss, sgml, sh, shtml, sml, sql, sty, tcl, tex, text, textile, tld, tli, tmpl, tpl, txt, vb, vi, vim, wsdl, xhtml, xml, xoml, xsd, xsl, xslt, yaml, yaws, yml, zsh

61 Replies

Good progress! 

It appears that, at least for the time being, any shared links for non-logged in users automatically download the file. Are there any plans to embed the viewer for public links as well? This is a very important feature for us as we use those links as Quickbase link attachments, and having to download a file then open it, and doing constant cleanups of the downloads folder, seems inconvenient. 

For comparison, Google Drive shares a link, you click on it (Logged in or not), and it would open the document in an online viewer in a browser tab. 

Can you advise on that please?

Thank you! 

How can I configure SharePoint to display a preview of an msg file in the search results? Currently the mouse-over shows basic properties of the file, but no preview. Clicking on the item downloads it to my computer. 

If I access the document library that contains the e-mail and it is using the modern library experience, clicking the item displays it in the web browser.

@Ivan Wilson wrote:

How can I configure SharePoint to display a preview of an msg file in the search results? Currently the mouse-over shows basic properties of the file, but no preview. Clicking on the item downloads it to my computer. 

If I access the document library that contains the e-mail and it is using the modern library experience, clicking the item displays it in the web browser.

Same is true for Visio files.

Hey @Nicolas Cabeen @Stephen Rose did you sneak out support for rendering .md files recently ?

awesome.

I have been waiting and waiting for .log support in OneDrive!!!

Now all we need is for Onedrive for Busienss to be able to upload the pictures we take with our work phones and my major complaints will have been taken care of and I will finally be able to get rid of Google Drive.  I really do not like being forced to use Google Drive because for whatever reason you all find it unacceptable that people could possibly use their phone's camera for work.  Is the Microsfot way of life going to colapse if you enable photo uploads for OneDrive for Business?  It's not like the freature doesn't exsist on the nonbusiness version. That feature has been there for years but for some crazy reason you all think it's unreasonable that I (and a lot of others if the feature request thread for this is any indication) want to use OneDrive for Business to upload my work photos, they would be uploaded into OneDrive where my coworkers automatically have access to them??  This would save me a lot of unnecessary work.

Chris, I know for my organisation it would be totally unacceptable to have photos automatically upload. Privacy regulations in Europe would have a very poor view if someone took a photo of their kids and this was uploaded without their direct content to a corporate service. The fines that GDPR could bring mean it's absolutely better to inconvenience users.

Are there any switches or query string params to be able to use the new file viewer in a modal?  Whenever I try it, I get taken to the root document library/parent instead of the viewer showing me the file.  Taking the identical path and putting it in the browser works perfectly however.

Hi @Stephen Rose,

You've mentioned Adobe formats for the viewers in this post. 

What about actually working with these files? I haven't found a way to open/edit images/psd/indesign files from Adobe CC desktop apps.

Ivan,

It's the ability to see a full thumbnail preview of these files with out having a native app installed so you know their content. You will still require a program or viewer to open.
i get that, but I don't see any way to open any other file than office documents in their native desktop application. I only see the download option.

@Peter Whitehouse -- I would be shocked if support for fillable PDFs came around.  That's a big undertaking.... huge in fact, in the browser, not to mention that would directly conflict with PowerApps and Forms.  That said, there's many times a client gives you a fillable PDF and you're expected to fill it out... 

I think if I could get rid of PDFs and printers I would gain 10 years to my lifespan.

Hi @Clint Lechner ,

I have some clients that specialize in wills & lasting power of attorney that use HMRC provided fillable PDF forms every day. They use Foxit Reader to check in/out these forms to save them to sharepoint but every now & again they have issues with saving them back to sharepoint.

Why is there no previewer support for DNG files created by Lumia 950 XL / Windows Phone 10?

No, these are thumbnail prevews only. It allows you to see the content of the files without having to open them to see. Since many Visio and Adobe format files are large, this makes it easier. These are the same viewers coming to W10 Fall Creators Edition. In order to open and edit, you will need a program to do so.

Hi, sorry if I get back to this, but I feel misunderstood :p I'm trying to understand where the current limitation is to edit files directly at the document library level, without creating an offline copy.
In e.g. Word Online, you can select "Edit in Word" - this opens Word 2016 and opens the original file at the document library level, and saves it back directly to SharePoint Online.

In case of non Office file types, like PDF, PSD, JPGs,... there is no "Open in <native application>" option (even if it is installed on the computer). Therefore (without utilizing sync) a user would have to download a copy of that file to their computer, open it manually in the native application, edit the file and save it, and have it upload and overwrite the original file. Correct?
I'm trying to understand if this a current limitation on Microsofts part (SharePoint Library action button <open in native app> doesn't exist) or if other software vendors (e.g.) Adobe have to do something, or possibly both.

In Adobe Acrobats case, I know I can open PDFs saved to SharePoint directly in Acrobat, by adding a Document Library location and then checking out the file and saving it directly back. But there is no way to actually do this from the SharePoint Document Library itself, or is there?

Any updates for file viewers for those in the engineering community?  DWG, DGN, DXF, SHP, SDF and specifically and many other formats used in the engineering world?  Thanks for the update!

I would recommend going to user voice and making that ask. Best way to get those into the pipeline if others have the same need

That functionality would have to be baked in at the Windows level. I will pass this onto Windows engineering.

Cool thanks, I'm actually expecting and improvement on the Windows-side with the fall creators update, since document libraries could be synced locally and therefore the native clients could open the files.

@Stephen Rose -- do you have any documentation on options for the fileviewer URL and options?  For instance, I see  ID and PARENT in the query string.  Anything else?  Any other options for building the link dynamically like a modal option (like the previous IsDlg)?

It would also be helpful to be able to open it without ANY toolbar on the top at all.  In fact, we'd be able to use it modals/windows, anywhere with tremendous ease then.

Thank you, love it so far.  Simply, consistent, fast to load, and very usable!