SOLVED

Announcement: New OneDrive Admin Center Preview

Microsoft

Over the past year, OneDrive has evolved at a rapid pace introducing new features for end users and IT, across sync, web, and mobile. As the number of users and usage continues to grow, our customers have asked for an easier way to administer their company OneDrive settings and policies. Today, we’re excited to announce the rollout of the OneDrive admin center preview to First Release customers and we want to hear your feedback.

Once deployed to your tenant, all tenant and SharePoint admins will have permissions to access the OneDrive admin center preview at https://admin.onedrive.com.

Key features by section include:

1. Home: This is the dashboard for the admin center and will soon show recent Office 365 Message Center posts and usage reporting related to OneDrive for Business.
  2. Sharing: This section helps admins gain control over how and with whom your users are sharing information. This includes controlling the use of external sharing and anonymous links, as well as limiting which external domains users can share with.
  3. Sync: Admins can block syncing of specific file types and deny syncing to non-domain joined PCs.
  4. Storage: This section allows admins to easily set default storage limits and document retention durations.
  5. Device Access: This gives admins control over how and from where a user can access their files. This includes allow/deny access from personal devices or specific networks as well as rich Mobile Application Management Intune policies for iOS and Android.
  6. Compliance: Admins can find quick links to the Office 365 Security and Compliance Center for key scenarios like auditing, data loss prevention, retention, and eDiscovery.

Please have a look at the preview and provide us your feedback and comments below. Our plan is to begin the generally available rollout later next month and subsequently add a link from the Office 365 admin center.

Thank you!

Stephen Rose

Director, OneDrive Product Marketing

120 Replies

You could do it through the Admin Center policy (which envokes a GPO) in AD or you could do it through AppLocker as a local or AD policy.

Ok -- what about the setting on the sync page that "allow users install the sync client"? What does that actually do?

I've ticked both the, "Allow syncing only on PCs joined to specific domains," and "Block syncing of specific file types."   I've added our domain's guid, and I've added a truck load of extensions to the file type list.   Even with these setting active,  I am able to sync all the file types that are supposedly blocked to a personal non-domain joined desktop without issue.  Is the admin center preview, simply a preview of what we will be able to do in the future, or it is supposed to be actively working at the moment?

I've double checked that I'm indead set as a, First Release Customer. 

Thanks,

David 

Hi @DAVID WILLIAMS,

All of the admin settings that you can currently see are live in the product today so they should be working. There may be a slight time delay between when you set the policy and when it takes effect. I'll ping the owner of these features to get some additional info as well. Thanks!

Stephen Rice

OneDrive Program Manager II

Sorry for my hijack this thread, as i didn't find a way to post a new question. I really have some questions needed to be answered:
1.What kind of encryption using in ODFB? Is it Non-Proprietary Encryption?
2.What kind of Challenge/Response Protocols are using my ODFB
3.Is it possible to validate ODFB Security Monitoring ?
4.Is it possible to Validate/monitor ODFB Performance ?

Could someone give me a direct answer including some materials.

Thanks in advance

Jason 

Hi Zoltan,

Much appreciated that you can reply it to me!!!

Since i'm new to SharePoint Online and OneDrive for Business, also i'm not an English speaker, I need some one can answer my question directly. I find that article before, but i can't figure it out with that article.

Thanks for your help.

Jason 

The setting I have in place, were set over a week ago.   Any help would be appreciated. It is rather important for us to have the ability to prevent syncing of PII/Sensitive data to personal devices. 

Thanks,  David

Capture.JPG

In addition I'm curious about the sharing policy settings.  Do these setting only hit Sharepoint or One Drive, or will this also hit O365 Modern Groups and guest access.  i.e.  If I set the policy to 90 days, will an external guest user lost access to the group they were invited, the group SP site, and Group file repository, after 90 days?

Thanks

David

Hi @DAVID WILLIAMS,

I've passed your question on the IP & file type policy issues along to the feature owners as that is the extent of my expertise there.

As for the sharing policies, they apply to both OneDrive and SharePoint Online. These policies will affect O365 Group team sites but they do not effect Group specific scenarios (such as adding a guest into a group). Note as well that the expiration feature in the admin center only applies to anonymous access links.

Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!

Stephen Rice

Hi David,

The policy configuration should only take up to 24 hours to take effect.  Could you reach out to me directly <samyadav@microsoft.com> so that we can debug offline?

Thank you,

Sameer

Hi David - meanwhile to get a headstart in debugging this issue - could you run this get-spotenantsyncclientrestriction cmdlet in your SharePoint Online Management shell? (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn917453.aspx)

This will let us know if the policy is configured on the service. 

Hello Whenever I try to logged in on https://admin.onedrive.com, it always redirect to me Office 365 - SHarePoint admin Center. I have full access of Office 365 admin. I tested on other machine as well, but same result

Please let me know If I am  missing anything.

I have the same issue Ashish.

@Ashish Kanoongo wrote:

Hello Whenever I try to logged in on https://admin.onedrive.com, it always redirect to me Office 365 - SHarePoint admin Center.

I noticed I am able to OneDrive Admin Preview site on my mobile, but surprisingly not able to open in IE browser. Can anyone please help what is the issue  and how can i resolve it?

@Stephen Rose - I've setup mobile device access policy and setup Alert every time any document gets deleted. Unfortunately, nothing seems working. In fact, I've also enrolled my device using O365 MDM but no luck. 

I reach out to O365 support team and they also doesn't seem to have any clue. 

@Ashish Kanoongo, @Karl Julson Were either of you still experiencing issues accessing onedrive.com/admin? Can you both confirm your tenants are in the first release program? Thanks!

Stephen Rice

@Stephen Rice - You win. I did not see that this was specific to First Release. However, it is working now.

I have received the new Admin Center but whenever I click the access it the page loads then goes to a "Access Denied" screen saying I need to be an admin to access. I am the global admin for our tenant and have access to all other admin centers? Anyone experienced this?

Thanks

Stephen Rice - I know there are still 5 working days in the month still to come but I'm waiting on tenterhooks for the limit by AD group feature Smiley Wink. Is this still on track?