Advice sought on OneDrive set up

Copper Contributor

Hi All,

Apologies in advance for the length of this question.

I'm in the pilot stage of rolling out Office365 to our remote staff and I'm trying to determine if there is an alternative way I should organise our process to better utilise OneDrive.

Just a bit of background first

Our working folder has something like 65,000 files in 13,000 folders.  Our folders are structured as follows:

• Group
    • Client
      • Work Name
        • Date

As work comes in, it is placed under the relevant sub folder if one exists, or the relevant folders are created if need be.

That work is then allocated to a remote worker to complete. They then work on it, and let us know when it's finished, at which time that work is then sent to a third party for review. If all is well it's sent back to head office for offline archival before sending to the client.  Should there be issues, the files might bounce back and forth between the remote worker and the reviewer until the work is deemed satisfactory.

For security and privacy reasons, the remote worker and the reviewer should have access to the files only for the time required to complete them, (anywhere from a few hours, to a few weeks).

We get on average about 200 pieces of work containing anywhere between 10 to 40 files each.

What We Tried

Initially, we stuck with the structure above, and the Head Office would share the folder to the remote worker, then remove access when complete, share it with reviewer, remove when complete. This sort of worked but became difficult to keep track of and I, as administrator, often found that folders did not have permissions removed when they should have been.  That lead us to...

Our second idea was to create folders for each remote worker, while the reviewer has access to all remote worker folders.  As work comes in, we would save the folders in our central location, then move the entire folder from the Work Name down, to the remote worker for the remote worker and reviewer to work on, then when complete, move back to the central location.

This idea seems to work better, as it is quite clear who has access and when, however we encounter the dreaded Windows Blue Screen when moving folders at times which can be quite disruptive.

The question.

Given the info above, is there a better way to do this? Ideally, I'd like to reduce the work required to be done by the Head Office team in allocating and administering the work, while limiting the exposure of the files for the minimum required to get the work done.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

0 Replies