'Add shortcut to OneDrive' no longer includes site name in shortcut - just library name

Bronze Contributor

I've seen what appears to be a change rolling out, in 2 tenants so far.

When adding a shortcut to OneDrive, it used to name the shortcut as 'library name - site name' - but now it is just naming it as 'library name'.

Has anyone else seen this?

This is potentially annoying for anyone who adds shortcuts to the 'Documents' library from multiple SharePoint sites - then having to rename all the shortcuts for them to make any sense.

2021-09-01_14-23-59.png

3 Replies

@Rob Ellis 

WorkaRound:

To avoid the name "Shared Documents" given to the first shortcut created to the root of one site, before that I created a folder "Shared Documents" under the OneDrive folder.

But, there is an inconsistency - sometime after this workaround the user gets Shortcut name starting with "Documents " (+ name of the SharePoint), but sometime this is starting with "Shared Documents " (+ name of the SharePoint).

This is valid only for the first shortcut. All the others are created as before Documents " (+ name of the SharePoint).

I can't catch the rule. 

@RaleNinoki 

We are also experiencing this issue.  The first shortcut added has the Document library name - SharePoint site name, but subsequent shortcuts only have the document library name.  Very confusing for people.

Definitely really confusing. Let's say there are two teams "Team A" and "Team B".

Both have a channel called "finances". 

The user adds a shortcut to both. The first folder shows as "finances" and the second as "finances - Team B". In day to day work, it can easily happen, that the user saves files to the folder "finance" instead of the other one, which can be a security risk.

I recently posted a feature request for teams and channels to show up automatically in the native file managers with the logical structure of "Team > Channel" (if the user has the specific access to have). 
Show Teams Documents Libraries automatically in Windows Explorer · Community (microsoft.com)

Please Microsoft do something about it. Imagine it would just work out of the box if a user logs in to an Azure AD joined device :smile: