SOLVED

"New Outlook" not showing but on latest slow build for Mac

Copper Contributor

I have two Macs, both on Catalina. One is via work and uses Office 365 enterprise. On that Mac I have the latest slow insider build and I'm using the all new Outlook for Mac interface via the toggle. However, on my personal Mac that uses Office 365 for home, I'm also on the slow insider builds but do NOT have the toggle in Outlook. Specifically, my personal Mac is using Outlook 16.41.20091302. 

Any ideas? I really like the new look, but for the life of me the toggle is NOT appearing. The only difference I can think of, is that my personal Outlook has an IMAP account in addition to my Outlook.com account. My work Outlook just has an Office 365 account. 

20 Replies

Hello @Traveler2045 

Please make sure you meet all the requirements listed on this page. If you do and you're still not seeing the option for New Outlook, please contact support by going to Help > Contact Support.

Thanks,

Evan

best response confirmed by Traveler2045 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Evan_Bolin I found the "problem". I had an IMAP account setup in legacy Outlook. Once I removed the IMAP account and re-launched Outlook the 'new' experience was available to me.

I have this same problem but have only POP accounts -- no IMAP.

Will the final general public release of the new Outlook for Mac app support IMAP/POP email accounts?

Hello @HDJulie,

One of the requirements for the New Outlook for Mac is that the email account must be an Office 365, Outlook.com, or Google account. 

Thanks,

Evan

@Evan_Bolin 

So a custom domain for personal use, such as mycustomdomain.com, cannot use the new Outlook for Mac?  Is there a specific reason this change was made?

Hello @JBBJames1,

At this time, the new Outlook for Mac supports Office 365, Outlook.com, and Google accounts but support for iCloud and IMAP will be coming soon.

Thanks,

Evan

@Evan_Bolin Ok, thanks for the info!

Hello @HDJulie,

Only certain types of accounts are supported in the New Outlook for Mac due to certain limitations. We do plan to add support for other account types in the future, but we don't have a specific ETA to share yet. The only way, for now, to use these unsupported accounts, is to use the Old Outlook for Mac. We understand this is inconvenient, but we are working hard to bring support for these accounts as soon as we can.

Thanks,

Evan

@Evan_Bolin Thanks for your reply.  Will this support be 'live' when it is released next month?

Thanks

James

Hello @JBBJames1,

At this time, I don't have any information on if it will be support when it goes live next month but you can keep your eye on this page that will be updated if anything changes.

Cheers,

Evan

@Evan_Bolin  I removed my custom domain that is hosted elsewhere.  I quit Outlook & restarted & no toggle.  I have another custom domain but it is hosted by Google.  The incoming & outgoing servers are the same as for Gmail accounts (pop.gmail.com, smtp.gmail.com).  Is Outlook using the domain name as the indicator (@gmail.com), or the servers (pop & smtp)?

This is very frustrating.  I have removed all of my email accounts other than my main GMail account.  It is a straightforward GMail account.  I have uninstalled Outlook, reinstalled it from my Office 365 subscription.  When I restarted Outlook, I got a popup to install the latest version for Insider Fast.  I let that install & when starting Outlook there is *still* no option to switch to the new version.  The toggle is supposed to show at top in the area of the ribbon bar even in the Mac, correct?  If the toggle is not showing for me then I'm thinking I won't get the new version once it is available for regular release.

Hello @HDJulie,

Sorry to hear that toggle is still not showing after reinstalling the latest Insider Fast. Since you're still not seeing the option, you will want to reach out to support to further investigate your experience.

Thanks,

Evan

@Evan_Bolin I did end up contacting support. My issue was that my gmail accounts were not set up a Google accounts but rather as Pop accounts.  

@Evan_Bolin Hello again

As Apple's Big Sur software is going to be released to the general public tomorrow (12 Nov 2020) is there any news on the roll out of the new Outlook for Mac app please?  I'm particularly interested in hearing if there will be IMAP/POP email account support as without it, I wont be using the new Outlook app which will ne a real shame!

Thanks!

Hello @JBBJames1,

The most up to date information about the New Outlook for Mac can be found here.

Cheers,

Evan

@Evan_Bolin is there any word on this update for pop emails? I have a pop email for work and im using a mac and would like to use new outlook. 

@Traveler2045 When I first installed it, the option was not available.  I tried 15 minutes later and was given the option.  All I had to do was wait.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Traveler2045 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Evan_Bolin I found the "problem". I had an IMAP account setup in legacy Outlook. Once I removed the IMAP account and re-launched Outlook the 'new' experience was available to me.

View solution in original post