Outlook CRASHING, and now Office

Copper Contributor

Here is the content of a 'Post' I submitted recently, and I hope someone from MS has a solution:

Outlook regularly crashing

I regularly get this, and my Outlook will then not open. I have repaired it many times, but only by deleting my MS Office, then re-installing from the original download. This, of course, times a long time. it should not happen.

I have done the full 'clean-up' using the MS tools, when deleting MS Office, but hat can have made no difference, as the crashes still happen. This started a year or so ago, and can occur after just a few days following a re-install, or 2-3 weeks later.

What on earth can I do to get a 'good' MS Outlook?

* Moved from outlook.com

|

Subscribe

What MS Tools have been used in any clean-up?

An in-place repair is done in this way, no download required;

Restart the PC, once fully loaded, repair Office,> Apps & Features>Select Office your version>Modify/Repair, once the repair completes re-test

If after a repair the problem persists, then restart the PC, once fully loaded, hold the Ctrl Key when starting OL to force safe mode, what then?

Did this reply solve your problem?

Yes No

In reply to Palcouk's post on May 8, 2021

Tried all of that many times, except the last paragraph - 'safe mode'.

I have it going at the moment. Had to uninstall Office, then run the MS Cleanup Tool, which took out all the bits of previous versions. I then re-installed from my original download.

Thanks for your advice. The next time Outlook crashes I'll try the 'safe mode' thing. Hope I don't have to though.

Timothy Wilbraham

In reply to Palcouk's post on May 8, 2021

It happened again yesterday, not even a week after the last CRASH.

But this time something even more worrying occurred: my MS Office had GONE!

I went to my MS office download and re-installed it, and things came back, but I have done that countless times.

A repair/reinstall does not cure my PROBLEM.

Is there someone from MS who can respond to this PROBLEM, please?

16 Replies

Hello @timwilbers,

Can you provide us with the version number/update channel you're using? You can find this by going to File>Office Account in Outlook. You should see an About Outlook section with the version number and channel right below that.

Evan_0-1621358884447.png

Thanks,

Evan

I see:

'Version 2104 (Build 13929.20372 Click-to-Run)
Current Channel'

Thank you Evan for your interest, and I look forward to your response.

Hello @timwilbers,

Thank you for providing us with this information. Based on the version number/channel, we show that you are on a production build. Since repairing and reinstalling hasn't fixed your issue, we would recommend reaching out to support so they can troubleshooting and collect any additional information from your device. Please click the contact us link at the bottom of this page to connect with the support team. https://support.microsoft.com/office 

Thanks,

Evan

I have done that thanks Evan.
Of course, I was taken through an automatic system that asked me to 'update', which I have done.
But (isn't there always a 'but'?), Outlook would not open this morning - the icon was on the taskbar, as was the one for Word, but when I clicked them, nothing happened.
I went to 'Start', then down to MS Office, which was there, as was Outlook and Word.
I went onto 'Apps'. and selected 'Modify' on MS Office.
This ran but with no result, AND, at that point both taskbar icons had gone, AND Office, Outlook, and Word had gone from 'Start', AND MS Office app no longer in my Apps list.
I had to re-install from my Downloaded file to get office back, and then do the Update the MS 'Assistant' said to do.
So, when it happens again, as it no doubt will, I will try and get a human MS 'Assistant' to help.
Phew!!!

It is happening daily now!!!
Re-installed again yesterday (must be over the 20th time!!!), and this morning GONE AGAIN!!!
Just one day!!!
Currently running the 'SetupProd_OffSccrub' again, then I will do the re-install ... again.
This is becoming a real blumming nuisance (refraining from using some foul language).

Is there any MS people out there who can provide a permanent fix ... please?
If you reinstall the apps and don't join the Insider Program, does this issue continue?
At this moment I cannot say.
Are you saying that me joining the Programme could have somehow corrupted my Outlook/Office?
If I need to withdraw I'll have to that.
No crashes since Wednesday (touch wood).
I ran the MS 'Scrub', then re-installed from the MS Office website, then updated using Outlook, File, Office Account, Update - failed twice, but tried again, and I got the 'success' message.
Many thanks for your advice ... much appreciated.
Have you tried the SARA (Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant)? Try this. Also, are you licensed to use M365? Which license do you have?
B*ggar me, the next thing I did, 10 secs after typing the above, was to look at my emails.
I noticed 2 messages were in the Outbox.
I tried to send them, but that failed.
I closed Outlook, then tried to reopen it, but IT WOULD NOT!
I am now having to go through the ever so tedious re-installation process.
Obviously, spoke too soon!
Oh, and Word has gone!!!
.... and Office - the whole lot!!!
I shall have a look at Sara.
License: it was just a one-off purchase, and I haven't a clue about a 'licence'. Not having my Office at the moment, I cannot look for such a thing.
Sara: yes, that's how I re-installed the last time 3 days ago. I don't think I missed anything during the process, so I have to say, Sara didn't help.
Try SARA first. Try the Outlook fix first and then go from there. Im confident that it will be licensing. MS love users to be licensed these days! not just the one off Office Pro plus or whatever it is.
I just typed an extensive commentary on what I did during the Sara process, but I got an 'Authentication Failed' notice.
I selected my text and copied it, then came out of the page, the re-opened it, BUT for some very strange reason my 'paste' was not there - is someone looking at what I am doing, and trying to block me ('tongue-in-cheek' and cynical)?
Thus I have lost the commentary.
The Sara process did not work - it stuck at the 'Troubleshooting the issue' page, where it is saying, "We're contacting our servers to run this remote job: TenantUserInfo."
That started at 16:54 - it's now 17:45, so I presume it hasn't 'sorted-me-out'!!!
I think without replicating the fault and seeing it, having screenshots, some log files and having the ability to remote onto your device and look at the configurations of system info, windows version, office version etc then its very difficult to determine what is actually causing the problem or what the root cause is. The usual simpler fixes have already been suggested, but as you say, they haven't fixed the problem.