Office apps are very slow to start on Mac - please help

Copper Contributor

My Office apps for Mac (especially Word and Outlook) take a very long time to open – sometimes it can take more than 10 minutes to open Outlook!

This is only the case after having shut down the Mac. If I quit the Office app and then immediately start the app again, starting will only take a couple of seconds.

I'm signed into to two 365 accounts - my main account is my personal, but I'm also signed in with my work account for OneDrive, Teams and Outlook.  It must be something to do with the sign in. My mac is high spec and everything else runs great, even resource intensive programs such as Adobe run fast. It's sooooo annoying and I often just leave the mac running without shutting down.

I've completely removed Microsoft apps and re-installed loads of times. It's usually runs a little quicker after doing this, but over time, starting Microsoft apps becomes progressively slower so I need remove and re-install again. 

I’m running the latest version of Office and my Mac is running Big Sur 11.2.3. My Mac is just over a year old - 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7, 16 GB ram. Any advice would be hugely appreciated!

0 Replies