Can't drag title bar icon for OneDrive files

Bronze Contributor

Something happened with Mac OS, or OneDrive, or my computer.... Can anyone confirm or replicate?

I often have a doc open in word and I want to send to someone, so I save it and drag the title bar icon, maybe called the proxy icon, to an Outlook email or into Teams. There are other ways to do it, but i like that one.

At some point in time that stopped working for OneDrive hosted files. Files not in OneDrive it works fine including files in DropBox.

Can anyone confirm or deny it works that way for them?

Rob.

7 Replies

@Rob O'Keefe Even I have the same question. I can drag non-onedrive word files from the title bar, but not the ones saved on onedrive. 

@masseyy Thank you for confirming!

Do you think it worked in the past? (I do)

I think a Mac OS upgrade changed the permissions or something, but I don't know how to get anyone from Microsoft to look into it.

I think it must have because that's how I've always shared files. So if it didn't earlier as well, I'd have known.
I hope they see this thread.
Same here, y'all. Interestingly, when you use the drop down in the window title bar, you don't get the system standard window that allows you to move the document either. You cannot move it to any local directory, only OneDrive directories. Another thing that points to the application's permissions.

Curious, I'm using the app store version of OneDrive on m Mac. Are you both, also? I wonder if the build you download directly from Microsoft is any different since it wouldn't have to adhere to App Store rules.

I seem to have found a workaround, though not ideal. I found it on the internet, so not my brilliance. Anyway I disabled "Turn on auto-save by default" in preferences. Then I shut "word" and shut "onedrive". The opened both. It didn't seem to work. But then I checked after a while, and it did. Now I can do both the things I couldn't earlier: 1. I couldn't open the enclosing folder from the file name itself on title bar. 2. I couldn't drag and drop from the file name. 
I hope this helps you. Of course now we have to manually save and remember to keep saving on and off.  

I have the same problem. Can we please have Autosave, Cloud + a working proxy icon? It works in Pages...
Bump, it would be great to finally have this feature available, as well as right-clicking the doc title and being able to open the enclosing folder.