SOLVED

Keep the current Office Version instead of updating - RDS W2k2R2

Steel Contributor

Hi everyone,

maybe i do not use the right search terms but what is the best practice to keep the current semi annual version 2002 until the end of it's "supported end date"?

I need to perform this setting because of the "Major Change" coming up:

In particular, any Microsoft 365 Apps updated to version 2005 or later will result in functionality and stability issues for Office applications due to innovations that are not compatible with Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012.

I know that best practice would be to switch to Windows 2019 or Virtual Desktop. But we do not have the resources to perform this change at the moment.

Both installations i have are set to semi annual. Which is fine for the moment. Until the next update of the semi annual version in September.

Do i have to work with Target Version or Prevent Office from being updated? Or is there a easier way that does not need manual work every month?

Thanks in advance

Stephan

4 Replies

Hi@StephanGee ,

Of course the best way would be to move to a supported Windows server version. Have you tested or considered running in-place upgrade to Win2016 ?

In case in place upgrade is not an option, you could consider disabling CDN updates (UpdatesEnabled in registry/GPO), so that you don't get version upgraded to 2005. Though, you would be running unpatched office software then and you never know when some features in O365 "cloudy part" would present you issues on unpatched software suite, let alone increased security risk..

Another alternative to test or consider is Office 2019 perpetual through volume licensing. That one is on version "1808", but officially requires Windows Server 2019 OS, so not the ideal solution either..

I don't think there are any easy solutions to this :) Regards, Ruslan

@RNalivaika 

I tried inplace update in my lab (SureBackup from Veeam) but it always failed.

Not updating with security patches is not an option. 

Then i will go with the option to specify the "target version" in GPO - every 5 days after update deployment

best response confirmed by StephanGee (Steel Contributor)
Solution

@StephanGeeYes, using "target version" might be the option in your case..

Have you seen this article ? https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdates/update-history-microsoft365-apps-by-date

It states version 2002 will be supportet until September 14, 2021, so this gives you some time to work on new updated RDS environment.

@RNalivaika 

Yes is saw that - was just wondering if there is an easier way to do this ;)

Thanks for your help

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by StephanGee (Steel Contributor)
Solution

@StephanGeeYes, using "target version" might be the option in your case..

Have you seen this article ? https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdates/update-history-microsoft365-apps-by-date

It states version 2002 will be supportet until September 14, 2021, so this gives you some time to work on new updated RDS environment.

View solution in original post