Word on client and logging into Office 365 with AD synced account

Brass Contributor

Hi,

I (and other staff members) use Office 365.

Our on premise AD accounts are synced up the Azure AD and this is what we use for identity. This is how I am logged on to this forum.

When we open Word locally on our laptop, create and try and save a document to Office 365 or OneDrive, see Sign.gif below. We all get a "the username or password for sites Invest Northern Ireland isn't correct.."

Any ideas why this is the case?

Thank you for your time,

Ollie

signin.GIFincorrectpassword.GIF

9 Replies
Do you have AAD Deployed or even an ADFS deployed?

This looks like the old, non-ADAL enabled prompt. Do you happen to have any form of MFA enabled on your account? If so, make sure that office is properly configured to use Modern authentication. Or, use an app password (not recommended).

Yes, we are using AAD for 365 and ADFS for other internal applications.

How should I configure office to modern configuration?

FYI: When opening Word, the user identity is set as first.last@investni.com (local AD account)

When trying to switch accounts to first.last@investni.com (synced Azure AD account) we get the "the username or password for sites Invest Northern Ireland isn't correct.." message.

Like below but with both email addresses the same..

accounts.GIF

@Oliver McErlane 

I have exactly the same problem happened. Is there a solution for fixing it?

I am using Windows 10 Ent v1903, Office 365 ProPlus v1902. I can login to OneDrive via the application. But in any Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access), both Site and OneDrive shows cannot connect to. 

@Oliver McErlane My customer is having this exact same issue, but if you type an actual incorrect password, you get the proper invalid credentials message on the sign-in prompt.  Correct credentials provides the prompt you showed.

@JohnieKarrAny resolution for this? I'm having this issue, particularly with Excel.

@aowen42 It's been a bit since I encountered this.  It either fixed itself after an update, or you can try removing the credentials from credential manager and see what happens.  Good luck!