Word 365 NOT inserting/pasting pictures

Copper Contributor

A long time MS/Office user here...  I'm attempting to insert or paste (I've tried both) a picture into a Word 365 document.  It shows the outline of the picture, but that's it.  I can go to Excel, Paint, etc. and it pastes just fine.  Also, prior to maybe a couple of weeks ago I've been able to paste or insert pictures with no issues.  I can paste text with no issues.  I suspect there may be a virus, but Norton 360 doesn't pick up anything when I do a thorough scan.  Suggestions???

12 Replies

Hi @HMC_Enterprises 

I am also a long-time user of MS Word. :beaming_face_with_smiling_eyes: I was unable to recreate your specific issue in MS Word Online. However, there are several things come to mind.

1) Do you have the latest software updates.  I assumed that you have auto update turned on.

2) Does the image show up correctly in MS Word Desktop and not Online?

3) Does the image show in "Print Preview mode" and not in the document?

3) Let's check your Print Drawing settings. See below.

4) Change the image resolution. See below.

Print Drawing Settings

• Open up Word from your desktop
  •  Click on File from the top menu then Options
  • Select the Display tab, make sure a Print Drawing created in Word checked
    Teresa_Cyrus_0-1660064523888.png
  • Also under the Advanced tab
  • Uncheck: Show picture placeholder
  • Check: Show drawings and text boxes on screen
    Teresa_Cyrus_1-1660064908631.png

• Now, remove your images from the document
  • Close both Word online and desktop applications
  • Reopen the Word application, and then reinsert your images

If this does not fix it, try changing the image resolution.

Change the image resolution

• Click on the image and select picture Format from the ribbon
  • Select Compress pictures
  • Change the default settings to Print (220 dpi)
  • Teresa_Cyrus_2-1660066264640.png

I hope one of these solutions display your image. If you find this information useful, please mark it as the best answer or like it, which assists others with the same question.

Have a great day.

/Teresa

#traccreations4e

Thank you so much!  It appears this was the culprit:  

• Uncheck: Show picture placeholder

I tested several inserts and pastes of pictures and they show up just fine.  I'm not sure how this situation happened though.  I haven't adjusted the settings in the Options sections, so perhaps a SW update modified the selection.  Regardless, thank you again for your assistance!!

@Teresa_Cyrus 

I am glad to hear that it worked for you. Please mark the response as the best solution which will help others.
Thank you in advanced.

@Teresa_Cyrus I'm having no luck using the above tips. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!

@Caroline_Bennett 

Before investigating further, what version of Outlook are you using?

Teresa

@Teresa_Cyrus We use Microsoft 365. I'm having the issue using MS Word version 2307 (build 16626.20134).

@Caroline_Bennett 

We seem to have the same document version, and I wasn't able to replicate the issue you're experiencing. From your previous message, it seems like you've already tried the solution we provided without success.

To further troubleshoot, we suggest the following steps:

Backup Document: 

First, make sure to create a backup of your document before proceeding with any of the solutions below.

Solution 1: Inspect Document

Check if any images in your document are hidden. This check may also uncover other issues. You can do this by going to File > Info > Check for Issues > Inspect Document.

Teresa_Cyrus_0-1691478240215.png

Solution 2: Check Compatibility

If you're working with an older document created in Microsoft versions 2010 or 2013, try checking compatibility. For newer documents, skip this step. You can do this by going to File > Info > Check for Issues > Check Compatibility.

Solution 3: Repair Install

• If the previous solutions don't work, contact your IT department and ask them to run the repair tool. 

If you find this information useful, please like it or mark it as the best response which will assist others with the same question. 

/Teresa
#traccreations4e

Hi Teresa.

We don't see the issue when creating a new document. We attribute the cause of the problem to be the document itself (it has many unnecessary styles). We will recreate the styles in a new document template.

Thanks,
Caroline

In the last few days can no longer paste images into word documents

Very frustrating as a major part of work is documenting steps

Looks like people were having issues with this is 2022, why would it be an issue again?

Did anyone have resolution?

This issue just began today, Oct 20, 2023. 

I still have older Word documents open, and they still accept a pasted jpg. However, all new documents will not past the image.

Actually, the lower part of the image appears but all the rest of the image is blank. 

Tried all the suggestions here but no solution.

Thank you ! It worked

@HMC_Enterprises 

It may related to office application, repair or update to latest may help