Word 2016 - Office 365 - Show formatting breaks display of document, makes editing impossible

Copper Contributor

Currently using word to edit large documents, course material. They have a header page, large table of contents, and usually 200-400 pages. 

When editing most of these documents, we rely on using the 'show formatting' tool to maintain formatting throughout, however recently using this tool has started completely breaking the display of the document. Large sections of the document get shifted about, images don't display properly, text will not display properly, bits of images will display over text that it shouldn't.

This only happens when the 'show formatting' option is on. When turned off, or when viewing it in web or print views, it displays fine. However, we rely on the show formatting tool while editing. 

So far, the only solution is to uninstall and reinstall office. This stops the error from happening, but only for a short amount of time. After a few weeks the error starts happening again, and the only fix is to reinstall. This is obviously not a long-term solution as we have to reinstall the entire office suite every time. 

I'll get a screenshot next time I see it happening, but I have just done the reinstall so it likely won't be for a while. 

Has anyone else encountered an issue like this? Any other suggested fixes? Hell, even a way to just re-install word on it's own would probably help. 

0 Replies