Wishlist - Office 365 Photo Portal

Bronze Contributor

Hi,

So I have the vague idea of creating some kind of image/photo portal within our company and I kind of wish Microsoft would develop an Office 365 Video/Stream counterpart that is focused on images and photos. 

We have probably thousands of photos created over the last couple of years. Most of them are lost within tens of subfolders, some on shared locations, some on personal storage location. 

A simple photo portal that would allow user uploads, private and public galleries/collections would be an awesome addition to the already great Office 365 platform. Think Instagram/Flickr for Business. 

What are your thoughts?

PS: Microsoft, I know you must have already thought about it ;)

6 Replies

That's a nice idea and I think would be worthy of consideration.  Looking here, there is certainly some interest in improved photo handling in SharePoint for example.

Some companies will have image libraries already, we did as an organzationail resource, having this in Office 365 would be awesome, with tagging and collections/galleries, making photos easy to find and manage. 

Of course we're already having some kind image document library, but that one serves primarly as an asset library, with curated and properly tagged images and is not suited for a user generated content purpose :p

This could also be a business friendly solution for auto backing up of smartphone photos (since the OneDrive app [on iOS at least] still doesn't support Office 365 Credentials for auto uplolad) :p

Additionally this would be another income source for Microsoft/Office 365 if they offer different usage/storage plans that do not rely on SharePoint Storage (e.g. default 1TB + x MB per User, and then some higher tiered plans)

That is exactly what the Internal Communication manager is asking me today : will it be such an App in Office 365 ?
I'm pretty sure Microsoft is thinking about it at least. I mean they've done with Office 365 Video, and its Stream Evolution. I bet images might even get more usage than video content.
Right now I'm missing an easy option for my users to save (and share) their Smartphone images, since the iOS OneDrive App still doesn't support AutoSave to OneDrive for Business :(

We have seen a lot of demand for digital asset management systems. SharePoint has always been a go-to place for document storage and collaboration, however, it has historically provided a negative user experience when viewing images and videos (photo gallery viewing and Microsoft Silverlight). 

We certainly see a significant improvement to this with the Modern Document Library experience. 

When dealing with hundreds or thousands of photos or deeply nested folder structures, it can difficult to find photos you are looking for. 

I'm really excited about the Custom Vision service (Azure) that uses Artificial Intelligence (AI) to recognize content within photos. Using a combination of Azure, Microsoft Flow, and SharePoint, we can achieve an auto-tagging solution. 

https://techtobusiness.blogspot.com/2018/10/predictive-image-tags-custom-vision-service.html