Why do Microsoft Stream use .webm?

Copper Contributor

I dont understand why Microsoft choose to save videos made in Microsoft Stream as .webm-format. The format is not supported by the video editor app inside Windows 10, and not in Sway either? Why dont you just use .mp4? Much better compatibility.

6 Replies
I don't know who's decision it was, but it was a really dumb one. As an admin, I'm now getting complaints that they can't even embed webm videos into PowerPoint (web) or other Microsoft apps. Was there no proper testing or thought applied for this implementation? It's extremely frustrating since most of our users are on Windows 10 and do not have access to ClipChamp, nor the web version because it's not under our BAA at the moment.
It's easy, MP4 is patented and require licensing, While webm is open source AND royality free. Webm also has alot better Compression ratio, which is kinda of important in the web.

As for embedding streams into powerpoint, just do
Insert tab > video video > online

@iMarius 

I believed one of the reasons was open source to embrace

@NicolasKheirallah 

Even that does not work

What problem are you facing with that?
Our organization is on Windows 10 without access to Clipchamp (unless they go rogue on the web) due to being a healthcare organization, so converting / working with webm files is a huge hurdle. Second, in PowerPoint on the web, when trying to embed a video, webm videos are not supported. 3. There is no way to trim the webm videos after they've been recorded / uploaded.