SOLVED

Where is the default Excel Template directory on Windows 10?

Copper Contributor

I'm using Excel 365 and tried the built-in help using the phrase default template directory and got back results that talk a lot about what a template is but no information about how to discover where the default Excel template directory is located, thus this question.

I tried Options, but there is no way to search for anything by term, such as directory or default, so again, I find myself asking the community for help on something I thought I would easily figure out on my own.

3 Replies
best response confirmed by IntelligenceExperience (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@IntelligenceExperience 

Here is the default location for Office 2016, 2013, 2010, and 2007 on Windows 10, 8, 7, and Vista

The location is C:\Users< Username >\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates\Document Themes

For more details visit this link >>>> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/customize-how-excel-starts-6509b9af-2cc8-4fb6-9ef5-cf5f1d...

@PDostiyar Thanks.  It's crazy that the word Excel does not appear anywhere in that directory structure you mentioned in your answer. 

No wonder it's so difficult to find it.   The total lack of information in the Excel Help system doesn't "help" either.

@PDostiyar 

Amusing the folder location given in the response's body differs from the folder location in the link in the response.  C:\Users\Dave Challis\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates or Templates\Document Themes

I have placed a personalized Book.xltx and Sheet.xltx in both folder locations. Unfortunately, I found neither work.

Using Win 10 and Excel 365.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by IntelligenceExperience (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@IntelligenceExperience 

Here is the default location for Office 2016, 2013, 2010, and 2007 on Windows 10, 8, 7, and Vista

The location is C:\Users< Username >\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates\Document Themes

For more details visit this link >>>> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/customize-how-excel-starts-6509b9af-2cc8-4fb6-9ef5-cf5f1d...

View solution in original post