SOLVED

When can an O365 trial be transformed into a permanent subscription?

Copper Contributor

To be precise, I'm talking about the E3 or G3 plan.

I've seen different information about the choice of a domain name for your O365 trial.

Some sources warn against using your real domain name with your trial.

Others seem to suggest that you can change your trial into a permanent O365 subscription and (apparently?) retain the same domain name.

But that is supposing you want to keep the *same* plan.

If you want to move to a different plan, your (real) domain name is semi-permanently linked to the trial and it may take some time before the domain name can be used again.

I also know that O365 evolves quickly and what I've read a year ago (or so) may no longer be true.

So what is recommended at this time?

Use your real domain name only if you are sure you are going to go directly from the trial to the paid version of the same plan?

1 Reply
best response confirmed by David Machula (Copper Contributor)
Solution

In general, you should verify "production" domains only when you intent to use the tenant. Adding it to a "real" tenant can affect features such as internal mail flow, the removal process has certain implications as well.

That said, you can easily mix and match different SKUs in the same tenant. If you need a "special" tenant such as Government one however, certain restrictions apply. As in, you cannot directly switch from E3 to G3 or similar.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by David Machula (Copper Contributor)
Solution

In general, you should verify "production" domains only when you intent to use the tenant. Adding it to a "real" tenant can affect features such as internal mail flow, the removal process has certain implications as well.

That said, you can easily mix and match different SKUs in the same tenant. If you need a "special" tenant such as Government one however, certain restrictions apply. As in, you cannot directly switch from E3 to G3 or similar.

View solution in original post