What is the expected behavior of the Office 365 navigation bar for external users?

Brass Contributor

We are seeing the navigation bar as black, and without any of our configuration settings (color, logo, etc). Is this expected behavior? If so, why aren't our configuration settings being applied for external users?

11 Replies
No, it's not...I can confirm that in two of my tenants I'm seeing the top navigation bar customized with the company logo when accessing to a doc library with the new UI or when browsing a classic Wiki page

Thanks Juan. Do you have the setting turned on to allow users to set their own theme? Trying to understand why our tenant is behaving differently. Any ideas?

yep the bar is customizable with colors and a logo.

By external users, do you mean people outside of your organization who you've shared documents with in a library, for example? 

Does your tenant have the new app launcher?

-Sonia

Those symptoms frequently indicate an issue with the users browser. What browser are they using? Refreshing the cache and deleting the temp files may fix it.

Multiple browsers, all users (so far), and two different tenants as well. No customized master page.

I remember running into the same issue a while back. When I asked the question on the Yammer Office 365 group it was confirmed that this was by design. I'm having the same behaviour for external users. 

I've always assumed this this happens as external users don't have access to certain required elements within your office 365 tenant. 

@Pieter Veenstra, glad to see it isn't just us. Any of the Microsoft folks help with this? @Mark Kashman

I do have the black bar even now and then, specifically when navigating to the SharePoint tile on the menu. I do wonder if it is also related to the first release setting of my user account. What then happens is that the menu tile has disappeared as well. A refresh of the browser usually fixes the problem.

Same issue for me as well. In addition, the top navigation is also missing for external users. Surprised that this conversation is 8 months old but there's no confirmation if this is by design or not.