What is the best way to implement a common shared calendar in O365 that works on mobile properly

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I have migrated a client(6 users) from Google G-Suite to Office 365 the other day, no issues with that.

With G-Suite they used multiple calendars ie Appointment calendar, Court Dates etc. all under a root folder called Calendar.

CALENDAR

APPOINTMENTS

COURT DATES

I have exported the Calendars using Outlook and re-imported them into a user's account in Office 365.

This is basically a user that shares his calendars with other users.

I read that I can create a shared mailbox, a public folder or use Outlook Groups to achieve this.

Unfortunately I cannot use Outlook Groups because it only supports one calendar, not multiple calendars.

The public folder is not suitable because it does not work with mobile devices.

So I have added an additional user that shares his calendars onto the boss's iphone, but when you look at the calendar entries it only shows the entries at the CALENDAR level, it does not show the entries for appointments, court dates, the sub calendars.

If I use Outlook on a PC or even use a web browser on a PC I can see all the CALENDAR root folder entries as well as all the entries for the SUB CALENDARS and I can also overlay them properly.

This is not the case with the mobile phones.

Can someone please provide me some ideas on how to achieve this?

I thought about using sharepoint to create a common office calendar but I need to implement multiple calendars under the CALENDAR root folder.

Many thanks.

Best regards

Alfred56 

3 Replies

The usual issue with such scenarios are mobile phones - they do not support access for shared mailboxes or public folders, and Groups have other limitations as you have noted. You should however be able to leverage the "new sharing experience" to show such Calendars on mobile devices, although it will require some additional setup. The new sharing experience is explained in detail here: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/calendar-sharing-in-office-365-b576ecc3-0945-4d75-85f1-5efa...

Hi Vasil,

thank you for your response.

It sounds great but how long do I have to wait before this becomes a reality?

This year? Next year?

What can I do in the interim? Create a sharepoint calendar/s?

Will it integrate well with mobile devices?

Thanks.

Best regards

You can use the new sharing model now, it's available for mobile devices. Eventually they will bring native support for shared mailboxes too, but we don't have any specific timelines.