What is happening to Quick Edit?

Iron Contributor

One of the best functionalities in SharePoint document Libraries; the Quick Edit-tool is not there in modern document libraries. Why?

Please bring it back ASAP!

41 Replies

Yes, kind of @Juan Carlos González Martín and I am glad it was such an easy solution, got a bit spooked there, as this functionality is just magic! :D However, as I mentioned above, you don't always have 4 columns in a view for quick editing...but now we know, and if other users search, they will find this, so not the end of the world. Still, it should be available in the menu somehow...

It is strange, and have just tried a view with just the [Name] field in and it Quick Edit is there!

Yes @Tanya Denton, looks like it....I created a brand new document Library, no Quick Edit menu. Edited the all document viewby removing two columns from view, then the Quick Edit menu shows....so 1st conclusion proven wrong, the 2nd conclusion seems to be that if a view is edited the first time, then the Quick Edit shows....strange....

And, yesteday when I discovered the missing Quick Edit, I had made new views...at least I believe so...

Hi @David Broussard, I did already register it on the Voice page on January 2nd; https://sharepoint.uservoice.com/forums/329214-sites-and-collaboration/suggestions/32794792-where-is...

Updated it with a link to this discussion.

Upvoted it.

Thanks a bunch @David Broussard! :D

The thing here is that you don't need those 4 columns, simply add the standard Title column to your view and Quick Edit will appear
It seems like it.. One of my older SharePoint Sites still has the Quick Edit button within a Document Library, a newer (demo) tenant hasn't.

Thank for the useful comments in this thread. I also had 4 editable columns already, but my view was grouped. After disabling the groupings the Quick Edit button appeared.

@Merethe Stave 

Not sure if you figured this one out or if my case is aplicable to your situation. However, I found that in my libraries if I go to the Edit View page and under the section "Style-->View Style" set any other value than "Default" then the Quick Edit link will disappear. Changing back to default brings back the Quick Edit.

@Erik Wettergren Thanks for getting back. I figured out I had to ungroup the rows to get quick edit back again.

@Tanya Denton Did you guys figure out why by chance this is happening? I'm seeing it too, but I have over 8 fields, I have editable fields, I have app created by, I have title linked, and nothing! No quick edit! Thanks, Jen

Did you try to go to "Edit Current View" and scroll down to the section "Style-->View Style" and make sure it is set to "Default" ?

@Merethe Stave ; I just encountered the same issue after creating a new Documents site! However, the [Quick edit] button became available after a new view was saved using the "datasheet" style. Not sure if that's the solution, but seems to be a good workaround for now!

@Merethe Stave ; I just encountered the same issue after creating a new Documents site! However, the [Quick edit] button became available after a new view was saved using the "datasheet" style as a non-default view

@Merethe Stave wrote:

One of the best functionalities in SharePoint document Libraries; the Quick Edit-tool is not there in modern document libraries. Why?

Please bring it back ASAP!

. Not sure if that's the solution, but seems to be a good workaround for now!

@Juan Carlos González Martín 

if We add List as Webpart in Modern UI Page, Quick edit option is not showing instead it is showing as  standard View. any idea ??

@Juan Carlos González Martín 

if We add List as Webpart in Modern UI Page, Quick edit option is not showing instead it is showing as  standard View. any idea ??

The modern list / document library WebPart does not provide the same actions you have when working in a list / document library

I got the same problem on the site pages. Seems like its only available on the default "All pages" view

Try edit view > tabular view > allow individual item checkboxes @Merethe Stave