What is happening to Quick Edit?

Iron Contributor

One of the best functionalities in SharePoint document Libraries; the Quick Edit-tool is not there in modern document libraries. Why?

Please bring it back ASAP!

41 Replies

Please say it isn't so....  

Agree @Kelli Gordon!!

@Kelli Gordon wrote:

Please say it isn't so....  

You could create a DataSheet view and use that. Not quite the same, but similar.

Yes @David Broussard, I could, but that just brings me to "classical" version. What when that is no longer available? And, it is a bit backwards crossing the stream to pick up water.... :) The whole point about "Quick Edit" is what the name says... ;)

I have just reviewed that I have the Quick Edit option on a modern document library too

Thanks for your feedback @Juan Carlos González Martín! I have checked both Team sites and Communication sites in Office 365 document libraries in several tenants and still I can't find it (and it did show in the grey bar above the documents in a document library previously).

Anyone; Bearing in mind that the error might be between the screen and the chair. How do I find the Quick Edit functionality for modern document Libraries?

Just checked my tenant and some doc libraries give me the Quick Edit, others don't. Trying to determine what the difference between the libraries are! If i find out i will post.

Thanks @Tanya Denton, yes, a colleague of mine experiences the same, eg. that it doesn't show in one tenant, but at a customer's tenant it shows...

This is strange. I am using just our tenant, and in the library that i opened where the Quick Edit didnt show, if i changed to another view, it showed! Now to check the difference between the views!
I have no idea why. But .... In the view that did NOT show Quick Edit i had the the following columns in the view Type Name Modified Modified By If i then added one more column to the view 'Quick Edit' then appeared. I only added [App Created By] column, which is a non-editable field, so have no idea why this then made Quick Edit appear! I think one to report?

Yeah, I checked Advanced Settings, there is an option there to allow Quick Edit, and "Yes" is chosen...still it doesn't show above the documents in the view...?

@Tanya Denton wrote:
This is strange. I am using just our tenant, and in the library that i opened where the Quick Edit didnt show, if i changed to another view, it showed! Now to check the difference between the views!

Yes! That's it! I added too another column, and now it shows....!

Conclusion might be that there needs to be a minimum of 4 columns for the Quick Edit to show?

Glad it is back for you, but still why the sudden change. Probably best to report it as it maybe an unintentional change.

I agree @Tanya Denton, as you won't always need 4 columns for an all documents editing. At least it should be available in the tiny arrow menu dropdown next to the other commands in the grey field.

Where can we report it?

Interesting finding...I have just created a fresh document library in one of my sites and Quick Edit was not there...it appeared as soon as I added a single editable column what makes sense in my opinion...in my case, I just added the Title Column...so I would say that Quick Edit works as expected
Having an editable column is what I originally thought it needed, but my library already had the standard [Name] field, which is an editable field, and Quick Edit didn't show. But when i added another column {App Created By] which is a non-editable field, the Quick Edit appeared. Strange..
User Voice, or put in a trouble ticket via the O365 Tenant Admin.

It seems that you need four columns in the view to enable Quick Edit. I added a default column and QE appeared. I then removed that column from the view and it went away.
Yeah...I agree I didn't "like" that solution, just a workaround.

That it seems one needs four columns in the view for it to appear is really odd. Definitely a bug