SOLVED

Using header information as variables in rules / prefix settings

Copper Contributor

Good day. We're using a shared mailbox to track emails sent to ex-employees by moving their email aliases to the mailbox. I'd like to create a mail flow rule to grab the original address the email was sent to (olduser@ourcompany.com) and place it into the subject or data sections as a prefix. Since they all land in the same mailbox, it's hard to sort and/or see who the original recipient would have been. We do this for things like potential spoofing emails, but I can't find a reference to using a message header field anywhere as a variable. Anyone do something like this before?

Thanks!

Eric

3 Replies

No way to do this with transport rules, you will have to use a custom transport agent (which is not supported in ExO). Perhaps instead of plain forwarding you can set up inbox rules that forward/redirect the messages and prefix them with some string at the same time.

Thanks Vasil. That's a good idea. I was trying to get rid of the older accounts more quickly, which was the reason for using the shared mailbox but I might have to just go back to the old method. Thanks again!
best response confirmed by exigenttechguru (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@exigenttechguru, you can try to use free ShowAlias utility - it looks like it might help.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by exigenttechguru (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@exigenttechguru, you can try to use free ShowAlias utility - it looks like it might help.

View solution in original post