Using different components from different versions of MS-Office

Brass Contributor

Hello

We have an odd situation. We have recently moved over to using Office 365. Our Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrade is nearly complete and I would like to get everyone on the Office 365 applications.

However, some of our staff need to use Microsoft Access 2003.

Is it possible to do this? Our present installation of Office comprises a local installation of version 2016  Pro Plus which has been customised so that the few who need it have Word, Excel etc., V 2016. This was purchased and downloaded from the MS volume licensing center. Access 2016 is excluded as part of the customisation and the 2003 version is installed in its place from the 2003 installation disk.

I have been reading about how certain installer technologies cannot be used side-by-side and from my research, I understand that our DVD installation of Access 2003 might not be able to be installed with Office 365 because it is 'click-to-run' (which would need to be customised so that Access was not installed for the few that need to use the older version).

Also, we are looking at using Microsoft Project. Again, just two staff from those using the earlier version of Access will need it.

I may have already answered my question but I would like to confirm that the on-premise installations may not work alongside a click-to-run version of Office 365. When I look at the subscription section in my Office account I can see Office 365 Business Premium listed. Under Apps and Devices the option to "Install Office" exists, but I cannot see an option to download a copy which presumably would use a different installer and allow the installation of Access 2003.

Can anyone help demystify this for me, please? We have only recently moved over to Office 365 so most of this is new to me.

Thank you.

2 Replies

@Vasil Michev 

Thanks. I have already seen this, but was hoping for some 'in the trenches' view. It's rather convoluted.