SOLVED

User-Control Access to Shared Mailbox

Copper Contributor

I've created a series of shared mailboxes, and now a lot of people have changes in permission.  I want to find a way to empower them (average users) to control permission to their shared mailboxes.  For each mailbox, I created a mail-enabled security group that controls permission. 

Is there a way for the average user for make changes to a mail-enabled security group for which they are an owner?  

I see that there's a place in webmail to review groups that one is a member or owner of, but that seems limited to O365 groups.  I see a place in settings to control distribution groups that I own, but I don't see mail-enabled security groups there.

How can I set up owners of these security groups to be able to add/remove members on their own, thereby controlling access to the shared mailboxes?

3 Replies

I can see mail-enabled security groups just fine under OWA -> Options -> Distribution groups, end users should indeed be able to manage their membership from there. But in general, if you want the users to be able to manage things on their own, use Office 365 Groups instead of shared mailboxes.

@Vasil Michev I have the groups marked as hidden in the address list. Would that also hide them from being seen in "distribution groups I own"?

best response confirmed by rpseekell (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Roger Seekell 

Aha! The reason I couldn't see those groups is because I marked them hidden.  Now that one is unhidden, it shows up in "distribution groups I own"!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by rpseekell (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Roger Seekell 

Aha! The reason I couldn't see those groups is because I marked them hidden.  Now that one is unhidden, it shows up in "distribution groups I own"!

View solution in original post