Use special font for one recipient

Copper Contributor

Is there a way for Outlook 365 on Windows 10 to automatically use Verdana in size 22 when I send to one particular recipient who has vision problems?  If so, how?

6 Replies
Hi Johnny,

If the recipient is using Outlook/Office 365 have them set conditional formatting rule on your messages inbound so they display in that font type

https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/automatically-change-incoming-message-colors-and-fonts-base...

Hope that helps

Best, Chris

December 3, 2018
Chris,

First, thanks for taking a swing, but I can't seem to get your suggestion to work.

Second, it's not the font type I want to change, it's the font size.  Although she does use Outlook 2010 or maybe 365, through experimentation we have determined that the minimum font size she can read is 22 points, specifically Verdana 22.  Based on your suggestion that she apply conditional formatting to emails sent from me, if I tested it correctly the largest size available, called "Bigger," is only 16 points, which is much too small.

(Also, the link you included seems to go to a 404 Page Not Found.)

Am I implementing your suggestion wrong?  If not, do you have any more ideas?

Thanks again, Chris, for your help.

Hi Johnny,

Ah, I get you..Apologies about the link, probably a cut and paste issue on a phone but thanks for letting me know that conditional formatting doesn’t do it.

This should do it - lock the zoom

https://www.slipstick.com/outlook/adjust-outlooks-zoom-setting/

Let me know how you get on. Would be great to resolve this to make things easier on her vision. You would think lock zoom was an accessibility feature by default!

Best, Chris

Incredibly (although the zoom lock option is great - not sure why it has taken years - seems pretty simple) they still don't seem to have to considered that the reader might like to see the subject line, who I was sent to etc at the top of their outlook email - all this still obstinately stays at the default size.
I think that you still need to use the magnifier or zoom the whole display - which to some extent renders the zoom a bit redundant.

I don't get why, despite mentioning this for years, nothing has changed. I still wonder if I missed a trick and there is a setting to say "when I ask for the text to bigger so I can read it on this device at this resolution, please assume I'd like to do that for all of the email not just the body".

I fully agree Ian, in fact I would say that there needs to be either a whole reworking of accessibility options for current office applications, or another accessibility version of the applications. There are around 360,000 people in the UK alone registered as blind or partially sighted and 2 million living with sight loss. Then you have users with dyslexia, dyscalculia, colour blindness and so on. I don't personally feel that the needs of these users are fully met.

Between the lock zoom and the windows 10 magnifier - these are only workarounds from what you say is an actual solution.

Best, Chris

Outlook and Outlook on the Web has it's own accessability options and accessability checker however it's metrics are owned by Microsoft and you cannot configure them on a tenant basis at the moment, which is a shame.

You can see the detail here: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Make-your-Outlook-email-accessible-71ce71f4-7b15-4b7a-a2e3-...

I've appended two pictures to this message so you can see where it's enabled and how it looks for end users. You'll also notice you can enable 'light version' under accessability settings to help here too.

In regards to the conditional formatting - this is probably your best bet but I would enable accessability checker for your visually impaired user to remind other users in your Org when sending to them - seems easier than making a policy tip.

Here's a working link for conditional formatting: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Automatically-change-incoming-message-colors-and-fonts-base...