Use retention policies / lables & group expiration policy to delete a site

Copper Contributor

Hi Guys

I have a question about the retention policies / lables and the group expiration policy.

With the group expiration policy I can delete groups (with all the related Data) after a specific time. Is there a way to do this as well whit retention policies and lables?

I know that retention policies and lables are more for delete or manage files and content from SharePoint, OneDrive, Groups and Exchange. With retention policies I'm also able to manage Teams content and whit retention lables I'm able to set on a event.

But I'm not sure about the following questions:

• Is it possible to delete a group whit retention policies or lables?
  • Is it possible to delete a Site & SiteCollection (not group connected) with retention policies or lables?

Thanks for your answer

Cheers M.

2 Replies

No. As you pointed out yourself, those are item-level functionalities. They don't act on the container itself, be if a mailbox or SC.

The only exception that comes to mind is when the Group mailbox is already deleted, and kept in "inactive" state just because there are still some items within it that are subject to retention/hold. When the last item expires, the mailbox will be removed as well.

@Mahoney_ as @Vasil Michev stated that is not possible, but you can use Site Policies, see https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Use-policies-for-site-closure-and-deletion-A8280D82-27FD-48...

As a general rule of thumb, use the right tool for the job :)