Transport Rules

Copper Contributor

Is it possible to setup a transport rule that identifies if the email is sent from a mobile phone and adds a disclaimer/signature.

I could set one up that looks for "sent from my iPhone" or "Sent from Samsung" etc in the email body but then that wouldn't work if the person does not have that turned on on their phone or if they have something other than the standard.

5 Replies
Typically, you would add the disclaimer/signature through the Exchange Admin Centre (EAC) or third party application so that wherever the message came from (I.e. phone, laptop or OWA) the disclaimer/signature is applied. See article

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/security-and-compliance/mail-flow-rules/disclaimers-signat...

You are correct in terms of identifying a property in the content such as ‘sent from Outlook’ or ‘Sent from IPhone’ if you wanted to specifically add a disclaimer/signature to do with the phone.
However, you are also correct that this relies on the user too much. That is why it’s typically applied in EAC/3rd Party so users cannot modify it or mess around with the triggering of the rule.

Hope that answers your question

Best, Chris

@Christopher Hoard Thanks for the reply. My question really is , if i setup the rule in EAC is there a setting I can use that will identify that the email originated from a phone that doesn't rely on the user?

Hi @Nat2019,

Thanks! Yes, AFAIK, there is nothing in EAC that will do this apart from the message content - which you have already identified is an unreliable way to apply it.

You can’t, for example, base it on a specific device.

Hope that answers your question!

Best, Chris

Thanks @Christopher Hoard 

I was hoping there was something in the email header or somewhere within the email that I could use to identify that it came from a mobile device instead of OWA or Outlook that I could use in a rule, even if I had to create it using the shell. 

But if there's no way to identify without involving the user then im out of luck.

Thank you

Hi @Nat2019,

But do you need to add any "special" disclaimer/signature to emails send from mobile devices? Or it is a regular signature but you want to control it centrally for mobile users?

If you are open to using third-party solutions, you may want to check our server-based (not client-based) central email signature solution - CodeTwo Email Signatures for Office 365. It adds signatures/disclaimers on the server side so it does not matter what email client or mobile device is used to send emails: https://www.codetwo.com/email-signatures/. No end users involved.

All the best,

Adam (CodeTwo)