Transfer domain when using office 365

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I have a domain with DNS pointed to Microsoft for using office 365.

Now I want to transfer my domain to another registrar.

When I transfer the domain and change the DNS settings again in the panel of my new registrar, will my emailaccount, inbox, outbox etc in office 365 remain as they are or do I risk losing any data when tranfering the domain?

Thanks!

4 Replies
Hi Katy,

Nothing in regards to your Office 365 configuration and settings should be affected when you migrate your DNS to a different registrar.

Just make sure that everything happens smoothly and swiftly to minimize the chance of downtime. There is always the chance of some downtime when talking about DNS because of the way propagation works but it can be pretty minimal.

Hi Katy,

Just make sure that you create all DNS records on your new Registar.

My domain DNS is managed from within the Microsoft Office 365 Administration.   The domain registrar is REGISTER.COM.   If I switch to GoDaddy as the registrar, do I get impacted?  Do I need to re-do the DNS manage transfer again?

Most of the time, the registrar will do a zone file transfer.  In that way your services will not be interrupted, the DNS records will migrate with the domain registration.

What I usually do is make a text copy of my zone file, execute the transfer and then verify.  I think in all instances, except for maybe one, everything transferred over with no need to recreate DNS records.  Our business has done just under 100 registrar migrations.

Otherwise, my recommendation to you is to contact both registrar's customer support and pose that question to them, so that you can get peace of mind.  And then make your own copy of the zone file anyway.